Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #16
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 27,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazzo View Post
Am I the only one who feels like this is far too little and way too late to keep them afloat? Especially considering their borrowing concerns and troubles in maintaining and taking on billions of dollars of more debt.
Also, isn't the 1900mhz spectrum terrible for building penetration?
I think they'll manage to stay afloat, but it's not going to help them win any wars against the other carriers. Too little too late has been Sprint's way of life for too long.

The 1900mhz isn't as bad as the 2500 that they use now for WiMax, but it's certainly not as good as the 800ish that others are using. Sprint will need to start using their 800 band pretty fast, because otherwise, the average customer is going to think "hmm...Sprint's 4G sucks compared to AT&T's and Verizon's." Not that they don't already think that, but still.
BZap49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #17
nmherron
S4GRU

Mood: Shocked
Phone: Epic 4G Touch
My Mood: Shocked
SU$: 17,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazzo
Am I the only one who feels like this is far too little and way too late to keep them afloat? Especially considering their borrowing concerns and troubles in maintaining and taking on billions of dollars of more debt.
Sprint can even go bankrupt and it will still keep operating. It will be run by the bankruptcy court and get bought out and be in much better shape without the debt. So, from a customer standpoint, it doesnt matter. The only folks who should be concerned are shareholders.
nmherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #18
Duffman
Eh.

Mood: onvacation
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 29,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmherron View Post
The only folks who should be concerned are shareholders.
Well, and the creditors. And haven't long term investors already lost something like 80% or more of their stock value?
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #19
nmherron
S4GRU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman

Well, and the creditors. And haven't long term investors already lost something like 80% or more of their stock value?
True, true. And perhaps employees. But customers are the last folks that need to worry.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #20
variablebinary
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Lurking
Phone: iPhone 5S AT&T
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 12,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazzo View Post
Too little too late? Not even close. Sprint is no where near hitting bottom. Sprint could easily borrow another few billion to keep operations going.

And the 1900 freq should provide more than adequate reception indoors, unlike their Wimax service.
variablebinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #21
nmherron
S4GRU

Quote:
Originally Posted by variablebinary

Too little too late? Not even close. Sprint is no where near hitting bottom. Sprint could easily borrow another few billion to keep operations going.

And the 1900 freq should provide more than adequate reception indoors, unlike their Wimax service.
And since 1900 coverage is going to improve drastically with Network Vision, it will be even better. Radios installed up high behind the panels are going to significantly improve building penetration and distance.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #22
variablebinary
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Lurking
Phone: iPhone 5S AT&T
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 12,462
And it didn't matter which cities were announced first, someone somewhere will feel entitled and think their city should be first, and get on the rag over it for reason XYZ.

Personally, I'm glad to see Sprint announcing any city at all. We also see Sprint is still committed to android with the Galaxy Nexus (despite the mouth breathers swearing up and down Sprint would become an "apple shop"), and we get LTE.

Good news indeed.
variablebinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #23
nazzo
Telegraph User

Phone: LG Optimus S
SU$: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
Personally, I'm glad to see Sprint announcing any city at all. We also see Sprint is still committed to android with the Galaxy Nexus (despite the mouth breathers swearing up and down Sprint would become an "apple shop&quot, and we get LTE.

Good news indeed.
Well, Sprint needs to be an apple shop to make the iPhone profitable. Otherwise they just spent billions on yet another white elephant project (WiMax, anyone?).
nazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #24
Jonger1150
Cordless Phone User

Mood: Bored
Phone: HTC Rezound VZW
My Mood: Bored
SU$: 3,127
Lets face it.... According to most reports stocks have been a bad investment for 30 years. Bonds have proven to yield better.

Why even bother with the stock market.
Jonger1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #25
gwmac
Tricorder user

Phone: Gold iPhone 5s
SU$: 32,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonger1150 View Post
Lets face it.... According to most reports stocks have been a bad investment for 30 years. Bonds have proven to yield better.

Why even bother with the stock market.
Unless you bought 1,000 shares of Apple when they were $8/share then saw your stocks split to 2,000 shares and then saw the price climb to over $400... And not only Apple, plenty of other stocks have had meteoric rises as well. You just have to know how to pick better. I did very well also on my Universal Display stock (PANL) bought it at $7 and now it is at about $36 in just a few short years. They hold a lot of OLED patents. When I first learned about OLED before it was even widely known about 7 years ago I just googled which companies were involved and bought the stock. I didn't listen to any analysts, just used common sense.

Last edited by gwmac; 01-06-2012 at 01:48 PM.
gwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #26
JPSmith
Cordless Phone User

Phone: HTC Arrive
SU$: 6,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
You just have to know how to pick better.
Yeah, that's why most stock funds run by professional stock pickers underperform the major indexes over any significant time period. Guess the pros, unlike you, don't have any "common sense".

If you did what you said with Apple, congratulations. If it had been a certainty that Apple was going to take off everyone would have bought it. It wasn't. And for every person that got rich on Apple or other stocks that had meteoric rises there are many that lost their shirts on other glitzy stocks that had similar prospects. Lots of companies that have hot technologies, great marketing, etc. have their stocks go nowhere. Putting all your investment eggs in one (or a few) baskets is very risky.
JPSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #27
saqer
Telephone User

Mood: Tired
Phone: BB Style 9670
My Mood: Tired
SU$: 1,092
If you ask me, Nextel network needs to be dismantled before 2013. Take a look at this article and see how much the the 800Mhz deployment will enhance coverage. http://s4gru.spruz.com/pt/New-Networ...today/blog.htm
saqer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #28
legion125
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 28,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by saqer View Post
If you ask me, Nextel network needs to be dismantled before 2013. Take a look at this article and see how much the the 800Mhz deployment will enhance coverage. http://s4gru.spruz.com/pt/New-Networ...today/blog.htm
It would be nice if we all could get that asap. Unfortunately, we will have to wait for the completion of NV. Some will gey it sooner than others as they activate NV market by market. The map you are referring to is Atlanta, so they will be one of the first.
legion125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #29
brownhornet
Cordless Phone User

SU$: 5,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion125 View Post
If AT&T's wireless HQ is in Atlanta, it's right in their backyard.
AT&T & VZW already have LTE here so i'm sure they don't care. And I didnt even realize LTE was going to be on 1900 mhz..that pretty much kills my interest. That means it'll barely work inside here just like the wimax since clear's tower is actually closer than Sprints. Oh well, I won't be making any impulsive buys on my sprint line this year.

Last edited by brownhornet; 01-08-2012 at 10:52 AM.
brownhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #30
nmherron
S4GRU

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet

AT&T & VZW already have LTE here so i'm sure they don't care. And I didnt even realize LTE was going to be on 1900 mhz..that pretty much kills my interest. That means it'll barely work inside here just like the wimax since clear's tower is actually closer than Sprints. Oh well, I won't be making any impulsive buys on my sprint line this year.
Under Network Vision, PCS 1900 spectrum is going to perform much better than it has in the past. With the radios up high behind the panels, the signal is going to penetrate better and travel farther. If you look at the link above you can see some before and after example photos.

Also, Sprint will be deploying LTE on 800MHz in 2013 as they decomission the iDEN network. Things are definitely turning better for the Sprint network in the future.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Dan Hesse announces first 4g cities to go live in 2012......

Tags
2012, 4g lte, lte, sprint

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: