Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #76
madcapjim
Cordless Phone User
 
madcapjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 6, '10
Posts: 580
Phone: iPhone 5
Thanks: 42
Thanked 42 Times in 34 Posts
SU$: 3,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tre Lawrence

I don't know... I think they could survive introducing a 5 'early." Not saying that they will; just saying that if Apple swings for the fences and does introduce one early, any backlash would not significantly affect adoption.
I doubt Apple will ever release another iPhone again before the October/November period.
madcapjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #77
Forever92
Walkie Talkie User
 
Forever92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 17, '09
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 425
Phone: Samsung Note
Thanks: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
SU$: 2,209
Edit: read it wrong. Still if they do 3 mo. later, I'll be laughing my ass off.
__________________
My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Last edited by Forever92; 10-20-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Forever92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #78
moksha
Telegraph User
 
moksha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 15, '06
Location: Des Moines/MPLS
Posts: 59
Phone: FUSIC
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
SU$: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dB View Post
Seriously? You make a lot of broad assumptions that are not even close to 100% concrete facts as you claim. The only claim that is even close to accurate and pretty valid is the drop test. While that drop test is FAR from scientifically conclusive it is generally agreed that the iPhone being made entirely of GLASS is more susceptible to damage from drops.

Beyond that the iPhone 4/S build quality is FAR superior using metal buttons and virtually no plastic. Aesthetics are subjective but one device is widely considered a work of art and a modern design masterpiece...the other is a very nice looking phone.

...
...
...


LOL

Pot, meet kettle.

You're doing the exact same thing you're accusing me of. What you say is SO MUCH MORE factually sound than what was presented in those videos, right? Bravo!

Also, there's no such thing as "staking a claim to the best smartphone" because there's no such thing as a "best smartphone", so your assumption is about my motives is absolutely tarded.


I'm not gonna dignify that with any more of a response than this.

Last edited by moksha; 10-20-2011 at 03:35 PM.
moksha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #79
0dB
Cellular Phone User
 
0dB's Avatar
 
Mood: Buzzed
Join Date: Mar 1, '07
Posts: 1,029
Phone: Whatever works
Thanks: 91
Thanked 105 Times in 72 Posts
SU$: 8,038
I'd love for you to refute all of the features and functions that I pointed out the iPhone 4S has that the Galaxy S II does not have.

Admittedly, some of my points are subjective but most are indisputable facts that the iPhone has a certain feature that the GS2 does not:

- Camera Faster time between shots
- AirPlay/AirPlay Mirroring
- Universal Dictionary
- Find my iPhone
- Much better Notification options
- Reminders (Samsung 'Note to Self is lame)
- Game Center
- Best Customer Service hands down

I left out all the ones that could even be remotely considered subjective. Most would consider Siri MUCH more powerful and Security is a major concern whether you admit it or not. Admittedly the SGS2 does some key things better like Flash Browsing and built in turn by turn Navigation is huge.

Oh yeah, when is Ice Cream Sandwich coming to the GSII on Sprint?
0dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #80
moksha
Telegraph User
 
moksha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 15, '06
Location: Des Moines/MPLS
Posts: 59
Phone: FUSIC
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
SU$: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dB View Post
I'd love for you to refute all of the features and functions that I pointed out the iPhone 4S has that the Galaxy S II does not have.
Sure thing, if you're indeed interested in sticking to facts and not falling into the same trap every other Apple zealot falls into: blind devotion.

I'm not interested in defending iPhone or Android so I don't wanna play that game. I think both phones/systems have their merits. I'm only interested in pointing out that iPhone is currently NOT the king of the hill as iPhone zealots would like to convey.


I do want to be as objective here as possible so I'll bite.

Quote:
- Camera Faster time between shots
What experience do YOU or anyone has with this in practical terms? Are there a lot of people who will be able to use the negligible difference in camera shutter lag in real life? I mean, are there are lot of people doing modeling shoots with the iPhone or taking pics of wild animals in action on a safari?

Also, while you're beating the iPhone camera drum, you conveniently forget that Samsung's Galaxy S2 has many more options in their camera app. I know this from direct experience because I own the S2 and got the iPhone 4S for my wife. The iPhone camera does better in low-light situations, whereas the S2 takes richer and more dynamic pictures. I also remember reading a study in which the S2 did a better job with camera app battery draw. Both have different, but equally good cameras.


Quote:
- AirPlay/AirPlay Mirroring
I'm amazed that you're stating Airplay as a strength of Apple when it has already been shown to be a less widely adopted standard.

Do you actually use Airplay regularly? I haven't met anyone who uses this because they'd have to buy a $99 Apple TV box, whereas all you need with the Galaxy S2 is a $15 MHL (HDMI) cord which ALSO charges the phone. So, the iPhone would also have to be plugged in unless you want the battery to drain in an instant (which AirPlay has been proven to do: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...for-bluetooth/). Hence, the "wireless" argument is nullified

Also, lots of Android phones have DLNA which is way more widely compatible than Airplay. I can wirelessly access all the media on my S2 from my HDTV with about 3 button presses and vice versa! I can send the content from within my S2 or I can activate DLNA on my S2 and just leave it on the table and use my HDTV to explore all media on it. I use this feature quite regularly because it can be done on any HDTV which supports DLNA (that means just about every single modern HDTV). No special Airplay equipment needed.

Quote:
- Universal Dictionary
Moot point. Great if you use it. I have a dictionary widget on my S2.

Quote:
- Find my iPhone
This leads me to believe that you don't know much of anything about Androids. This feature is very easily activated on Androids. You can either do this by using one of the countless apps which provide this feature or, in my case, I just use Sprint's Total Equipment Protection app for free.

Quote:
- Much better Notification options
Yes, how many years did that take? I mean, they copied WebOS and Android finally. I'm not saying this to defend Android, but rather to put your claims in perspective.

Quote:
- Reminders (Samsung 'Note to Self is lame)
That is YOUR own personal view. Moot point.

Quote:
- Game Center
Another completely moot point. All games can be put in one folder in Android and launched. Most people don't buy smartphones because games are a top priority.

Quote:
- Best Customer Service hands down
I absolutely agree. Apple has great customer service. However, have you stopped to think that they only have one single operating system environment to support, and that their high quality customer service is subsidized from overcharging people who buy their products? (example: http://gizmodo.com/5851709/the-iphon...n-the-iphone-4). A similarly outfitted Mac PC will cost way more than a PC with identical hardware. Result = generally better customer service for those who're willing to pay the extra premium.

Also, take into account how many people have had to repurchase an iPhone or have their insurance fund it after the fragile glass body takes a crap. I know this is absolutely true because most people I've known with an iPhone in the past several years have had to get it replaced at least once. Some have had it replaced several times! All that money = more sales for Apple = inflated sales figures = increase in the price of raw parts throughout the industry = everyone pays more! We all lose because Apple is designing a fragile product!

There is no denying that choosing superduper fancy looks over build durability is a not the smartest thing Apple did. It's a high-end mobile device. How much do its abilities matter if it can't stay in one piece for at least 2 years? The iPhone's durability is a glaring weakness which nobody can deny, and it's a HUGE factor if you consider all the points I've made within the last two paragraphs.

Quote:
Oh yeah, when is Ice Cream Sandwich coming to the GSII on Sprint?
Nice way to sneak in a snide remark there, but I will give it to you. Samsung has historically sucked at pushing new updates to their devices and I have no idea when the new update will roll out. However, this is an intrinsic drawback of getting a Samsung device which I considered before making my purchase. I wish they would be on point about pushing out updates quickly. They're not.

Last edited by moksha; 10-20-2011 at 07:11 PM.
moksha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #81
0dB
Cellular Phone User
 
0dB's Avatar
 
Mood: Buzzed
Join Date: Mar 1, '07
Posts: 1,029
Phone: Whatever works
Thanks: 91
Thanked 105 Times in 72 Posts
SU$: 8,038
While you do have some very valid points. The only point that you were able to unequivocally refute with something other than personal opinion or personal preference is that Android has similar capabilities to the 'Find My iPhone' App.

- Faster Camera
In the real world this is actually quite awesome. Especially for capturing shots of children which I do frequently. Also, I forgot to mention the iPhone 4S dedicated Hardware Camera button integrated into the volume control is very nice. It has been reported by many that the GS2 can be difficult to wield its large size and push the software button. YMMV
- AirPlay/Airplay Mirroring
AirPlay Mirroring is MUCH more powerful than DLNA...come on. Your entire response proves how little you know about this feature. It Mirrors your actual Screen so games and Apps or Web pages appear on your TV. Also, the $99 price point for an Apple TV is WAY BELOW what many people pay to get DLNA or Netflix to their TV when compared to a PS3 or HTPC. Yes there are other options but not many that cost less than $99. Of course you could easily connect to a charging cable from ANYWHERE in the room if you really need to.
I agree MHL is very cool but then your phone is tethered to the TV if you want to use it for something else quickly or if you get a call.
- Universal Dictionary
This is NOT a moot point. Being able to look up a word instantly from within any App is amazingly useful and will without doubt be emulated by all other manufacturers
- Notifications
Yes it took them a LONG time to get it RIGHT. They even hired the programer who enabled the early notifications on Jailbroken iPhones. Who cares now. It's here and it's WAY better!!!
- Reminders
It's not an opinion that getting an email is NOT much of a reminder when compared to fully customizable Reminders than can be sorted in lists and generate notification alarms at a specific time or linked to your change in geographic location. It's not even close and so far from moot it isn't even funny.
- Game Center
Holy Cow, you have not clue what you are saying here. It's NOT JUST A FOLDER TO HOLD YOUR GAME APPS. It's a complete online gaming community similar to the Play Station Network. Again NOT moot.
- Best Customer Support
You don't pay MORE for iPhone Support than you do for Samsung support. The phone costs the SAME. As with your example there are also countless other examples of people getting their accidentally damaged iPhones replaced for free no questions asked.
As for Ice Cream Sandwich I didn't sneak it in...I mentioned it before too. This is a major issue for me and why I was with the Nexus S and would only consider other Nexus devices in the future.

The GS2 is clearly a great phone but you can't discount some of these major advantages. Just like you can't discount some of the advantages that come with Android like customizability. It's clear that many of these advantages are not important to YOU. That does not mean they are not important.
0dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #82
jade408
Two Cans & String User
 
jade408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 19, '11
Posts: 3
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
SU$: 136
Honestly, I found it to be pretty exciting. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. And Siri is definitely a game changer. Far more accurate than voice recognition on Android.

But at the end of the day it doesn't matter if a phone has the end all be all features. If it doesn't work for you and your workflow, it is useless.
jade408 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jade408 For This Useful Post:
laravia18 (10-26-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 04:35 AM   #83
lgmayka
Digital PCS User
 
lgmayka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 18, '02
Location: Aurora, IL, USA
Posts: 4,174
Phone: HTC Evo Shift4G
Thanks: 98
Thanked 133 Times in 103 Posts
SU$: 22,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dB View Post
You don't pay MORE for iPhone Support than you do for Samsung support. The phone costs the SAME.
This is indeed the bottom line. Apple has successfully forced all three major carriers to heavily subsidize iPhones at everyone else's expense. It is very difficult to compete against such monopolistic tactics.

If each carrier subsidized each phone equally, does anyone foolishly imagine that iPhones would be nearly so popular at their correct $600 price point?
lgmayka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:37 AM   #84
moksha
Telegraph User
 
moksha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 15, '06
Location: Des Moines/MPLS
Posts: 59
Phone: FUSIC
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
SU$: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dB
While you do have some very valid points. The only point that you were able to unequivocally refute with something other than personal opinion or personal preference is that Android has similar capabilities to the 'Find My iPhone' App.
And this is exactly why I had no interest in responding to you initially. How about this: everything you say is irrefutable fact. Everything I'm saying is opinion. You win. Now pat yourself on the back and enjoy your day. :-)
moksha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #85
0dB
Cellular Phone User
 
0dB's Avatar
 
Mood: Buzzed
Join Date: Mar 1, '07
Posts: 1,029
Phone: Whatever works
Thanks: 91
Thanked 105 Times in 72 Posts
SU$: 8,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
This is indeed the bottom line. Apple has successfully forced all three major carriers to heavily subsidize iPhones at everyone else's expense. It is very difficult to compete against such monopolistic tactics.

If each carrier subsidized each phone equally, does anyone foolishly imagine that iPhones would be nearly so popular at their correct $600 price point?
When the iPhone first came out it cost $699 and they sold millions. They still have a $399 option that they also sell by the millions.

Millions of people are clamoring to buy them UNLOCKED at FULL PRICE. In the USA alone T-Mobile accounts for over 1 Million iPhone users. These are devices are unsubsidized (or at least included an ETF). The unlocked 64GB iPhone 4S costs $849...and people will gobble these up.

The Carriers are making Billions of dollars every year (well NOT Sprint ) so I wouldn't feel too sorry for them.

Android is managing to compete just fine. In fact they are winning. Despite these so called 'monopolistic' practices.
0dB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 0dB For This Useful Post:
laravia18 (10-26-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #86
lgmayka
Digital PCS User
 
lgmayka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 18, '02
Location: Aurora, IL, USA
Posts: 4,174
Phone: HTC Evo Shift4G
Thanks: 98
Thanked 133 Times in 103 Posts
SU$: 22,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dB View Post
When the iPhone first came out it cost $699 and they sold millions.
Chuckle. You are apparently claiming that iPhone buyers couldn't care less about price. That means that they are all either filthy rich or utter idiots. Which are you asserting?

In contrast, I am pointing out the obvious: that without the obscene and unfair price subsidy bestowed on the iPhone to the exclusion of every other model, the iPhone's market share would be significantly lower. This is patently obvious--again, unless all iPhone buyers are rich or idiotic or both.

It is also obvious that if the carriers could triple the price and sell just as many iPhones, they would. They would be idiots not to. Or are you asserting that all three major carriers are also run by total morons?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dB View Post
Android is managing to compete just fine. In fact they are winning. Despite these so called 'monopolistic' practices.
Exactly. That is a tribute to the genius of Android, and even more to the genius of a free market unfettered by monopolies.
lgmayka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #87
0dB
Cellular Phone User
 
0dB's Avatar
 
Mood: Buzzed
Join Date: Mar 1, '07
Posts: 1,029
Phone: Whatever works
Thanks: 91
Thanked 105 Times in 72 Posts
SU$: 8,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
Exactly. That is a tribute to the genius of Android, and even more to the genius of a free market unfettered by monopolies.
I've been a huge Android fan since day one even Google would admit that if the iPhone hadn't come along when it did we would still by typing on Blackberry's.

I just don't get this monopoly mentality. For the most part. Apple invents it or makes it popular. Then everyone else copies it for free. Is that the free market you are referring to?
0dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #88
lgmayka
Digital PCS User
 
lgmayka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 18, '02
Location: Aurora, IL, USA
Posts: 4,174
Phone: HTC Evo Shift4G
Thanks: 98
Thanked 133 Times in 103 Posts
SU$: 22,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dB View Post
For the most part. Apple invents it or makes it popular. Then everyone else copies it for free. Is that the free market you are referring to?
Apple hypnotizes its fan base, then manipulates and threatens the carriers into sucking money from other customers in order to heavily subsidize that hypnotized fan base. That is not a free market, that's market power (i.e., an effective monopoly).
lgmayka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #89
Irishman42
Cellular Phone User
 
Irishman42's Avatar
 
Mood: Breezy
Join Date: Feb 22, '11
Location: Oregon, Ohio
Posts: 1,696
Phone: HTC Rezound
Thanks: 76
Thanked 162 Times in 126 Posts
SU$: 6,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dB View Post
I've been a huge Android fan since day one even Google would admit that if the iPhone hadn't come along when it did we would still by typing on Blackberry's.

I just don't get this monopoly mentality. For the most part. Apple invents it or makes it popular. Then everyone else copies it for free. Is that the free market you are referring to?
I always find these comments interesting because Apple also copied much of what they have.

"We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas." "Good artists copy; great artists steal."

Steve Jobs
__________________
Sent from my phone!
Irishman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #90
GoldenBlaze
Account Locked
 
GoldenBlaze's Avatar
 
Mood: Relaxed
Join Date: Nov 15, '07
Posts: 3,101
Thanks: 208
Thanked 200 Times in 151 Posts
SU$: 23,236
Honey, in this game everybody has copied somebody. What difference does it truly make?? What ever suits your needs is all anyone should care about.

Sent from my iPhone using SU Forum
GoldenBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Apple iOS > Why the iPhone 4S failed to excite.

Reply

Tags
apple, epic touch, iphone 4s, release, samsung

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple to build 25 Million iPhone 5 Handsets in 2011 tranformer66102 Other Carriers & MVNOs 0 07-23-2011 02:26 AM
NEW IPHONE - Iphone 3gS - COMING JUNE 19TH GoldenBlaze Other Carriers & MVNOs 84 06-15-2009 10:58 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:29 PM.


- SprintUsers.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sprint PCS -