Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
KillerFurby
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 25
Question Data users in Iowa?

I was hoping there would be a Sprint smartphone user in the Des Moines area, who could tell me what kind of 3G data speeds they currently get (since 4G isn't available, save for a couple tiny spots.) Thank you!
KillerFurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
sfhub
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 25,208
I don't know what the 3G speeds are, but you should also look at the coverage map here (make sure you zoom in or it won't be granular enough to see coverage holes):
http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp

If you have a phone like Evo 3D or Shift, expect to be roaming where the map says Fair (when you zoom in). Something like the Photon, might be able to get native signal in those areas.

If you end up roaming it will be with US Cellular and I believe roaming is 1x only in Des Moine, but might be wrong on that. 1x Roaming data will probably be around 125k, possibly 250k.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
KillerFurby
Two Cans & String User

Everywhere I will be is dark orange, so not roaming.

EDIT: Oh, and you were looking at the voice coverage map?

Last edited by KillerFurby; 09-07-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
sfhub
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerFurby View Post
Everywhere I will be is dark orange, so not roaming.

EDIT: Oh, and you were looking at the voice coverage map?
I'm saying ignore the data coverage map. It doesn't provide signal-level granularity. It assumes all signal levels (even 1 bar) are "on network".

If the voice coverage says "fair", then you have a good chance to be roaming for both voice and data (they are usually the same tower), or even worse, getting stuck with just enough signal where your phone won't roam, but also not enough signal to have a stable connection. Sprint took away the force roam option on most phones so being stuck in this limbo state is a possibility. On some phones you can add the capability back.

Basically if there is a good chance you'd be roaming based on the voice map (which includes signal levels), your data will likely also be roaming.

Also the phone you get makes a difference. Evo 3D and Evo Shift are not as good with signal. Fair signal on the map is equivalent to poor signal for those phones.

The way to use the data map is to say "*If* I got signal in an area, would it be 3g or 1x" For the question of whether you would get signal look at the voice coverage map and be careful in areas where it says "Fair". Not saying you will definitely be roaming, but it is the area where you may potentially have issues, especially inside a building or if you have a phone that doesn't handle weak signals that well.

Last edited by sfhub; 09-07-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
jalan
Telegraph User

SU$: 422
Des Moines is a large area. It varies depending on where you are at. It will range from several MB / sec to a couple hundred KB / sec in trouble spots. All depends on what specific areas you are interested in.

Quote:
I was hoping there would be a Sprint smartphone user in the Des Moines area, who could tell me what kind of 3G data speeds they currently get (since 4G isn't available, save for a couple tiny spots.) Thank you!
jalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
austin4435
Cordless Phone User

SU$: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
I'm saying ignore the data coverage map. It doesn't provide signal-level granularity. It assumes all signal levels (even 1 bar) are "on network".

If the voice coverage says "fair", then you have a good chance to be roaming for both voice and data (they are usually the same tower), or even worse, getting stuck with just enough signal where your phone won't roam, but also not enough signal to have a stable connection. Sprint took away the force roam option on most phones so being stuck in this limbo state is a possibility. On some phones you can add the capability back.

Basically if there is a good chance you'd be roaming based on the voice map (which includes signal levels), your data will likely also be roaming.

Also the phone you get makes a difference. Evo 3D and Evo Shift are not as good with signal. Fair signal on the map is equivalent to poor signal for those phones.

The way to use the data map is to say "*If* I got signal in an area, would it be 3g or 1x" For the question of whether you would get signal look at the voice coverage map and be careful in areas where it says "Fair". Not saying you will definitely be roaming, but it is the area where you may potentially have issues, especially inside a building or if you have a phone that doesn't handle weak signals that well.
Get ROAM CONTROL..FOR ANDROID PHONES ON MARKET!
austin4435 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
KillerFurby
Two Cans & String User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalan View Post
Des Moines is a large area. It varies depending on where you are at. It will range from several MB / sec to a couple hundred KB / sec in trouble spots. All depends on what specific areas you are interested in.
Alright, thank you. I think I'm just going to visit a Sprint store or two where I live and test out the speeds there.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
sfhub
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin4435 View Post
Get ROAM CONTROL..FOR ANDROID PHONES ON MARKET!
As I mentioned, some phones can put that functionality back. However, this only gets you out of the limbo state (if it works for your particular phone). There is a secondary issue that roaming is likely 1x on US Cellular (in that area) and the OP was specifically asking about data rates.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
sfhub
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Alright, thank you. I think I'm just going to visit a Sprint store or two where I live and test out the speeds there.
That's like testing whether the cops will show up quickly at the precinct

I would suggest you just take advantage of the 30-day trial period and run around to all the places you frequent, especially the ones (if any) listed as Fair in the coverage map.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
TheBlackAngel
Telephone User

Mood: Ninja
My Mood: Ninja
SU$: 1,047
i live in the des moines area and coverage and speeds here are excellent. data speeds avg 700-800K but i get at least 1meg or more consistently, have even hit 2meg a few times. voice coverage is excellent and is more dependant on what phone you have. crappy phone = crappy coverage. i have 9 total lines on my account and we are all over the des moines to ames area and no one has had a problem yet, even when my phone says 1 bar i can still make and receive calls. the only times i've roamed is if i go in a building that is good at blocking signal and then it finally switches over but that is very very rare. i would not worry about any places listed on the map as "fair" coverage as a poster above said, you shouldn't have any problems.

as to 4G there are 2 spectrum protection sites live in des moines. 1 is across from walgreens on douglas east of merle hay mall, the other is next to 235 across from walmart and sams.

hope that helps let me know if you have any other questions
TheBlackAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
KillerFurby
Two Cans & String User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackAngel View Post
i live in the des moines area and coverage and speeds here are excellent. data speeds avg 700-800K but i get at least 1meg or more consistently, have even hit 2meg a few times. voice coverage is excellent and is more dependant on what phone you have. crappy phone = crappy coverage. i have 9 total lines on my account and we are all over the des moines to ames area and no one has had a problem yet, even when my phone says 1 bar i can still make and receive calls. the only times i've roamed is if i go in a building that is good at blocking signal and then it finally switches over but that is very very rare. i would not worry about any places listed on the map as "fair" coverage as a poster above said, you shouldn't have any problems.

as to 4G there are 2 spectrum protection sites live in des moines. 1 is across from walgreens on douglas east of merle hay mall, the other is next to 235 across from walmart and sams.

hope that helps let me know if you have any other questions
Yes, very helpful. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
andre141
A Happy Verizon Customer since 10/14/11

Mood: Chatty
Phone: iPhone 5S
Trades: 11
My Mood: Chatty
SU$: 28,379
Others here might be able to give a little more insight than me, but I'm from Omaha and at least in Omaha roaming is on Verizon EVDO, not US Cellular.

But a 2 hour drive can make a big difference! Good luck!
andre141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #13
sfhub
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre141 View Post
Others here might be able to give a little more insight than me, but I'm from Omaha and at least in Omaha roaming is on Verizon EVDO, not US Cellular.

But a 2 hour drive can make a big difference! Good luck!
Don't update your PRL

For Omaha, between 60680 (7/14) and 60681 (8/18) they *removed* your Alltel/VZW EVDO roaming.

*As of PRL 60681*, your highest priority roaming is Cricket.

*As of PRL 60681*, you can potentially roam with Cricket (SID 5914), US Cellular (SID 5911), and Alltel (SID 152). Alltel roaming is 1x.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #14
andre141
A Happy Verizon Customer since 10/14/11

Mood: Chatty
Phone: iPhone 5S
Trades: 11
My Mood: Chatty
SU$: 28,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
Don't update your PRL

For Omaha, between 60680 (7/14) and 60681 (8/18) they *removed* your Alltel/VZW EVDO roaming.

*As of PRL 60681*, your highest priority roaming is Cricket.

*As of PRL 60681*, you can potentially roam with Cricket (SID 5914), US Cellular (SID 5911), and Alltel (SID 152). Alltel roaming is 1x.
That's not cool. Is Cricket or US Cellular EVDO or 1x?

My current PRL is 21081 and I don't plan on updating lol. I would die without my Alltel EVDO!
andre141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #15
sfhub
Cellular Phone User

21081 is supposed to be the same as 60681, except for phones that can use 800 SMR (frequency being freed up as Nextel gets shut down), however I haven't seen the specific PRL breakdown for 21081 so can't really say with certainty.

Nationwide, the only domestic EV roaming left in 60681 is with Cricket, but in Omaha, there is no EV roaming with Cricket. What the PRL describes for Omaha, is it will do 1x roaming with the carriers I mentioned earlier, but for EV it will still scan for Sprint signals. This might be confusing if you enable roaming, as you'll be using one of the other carriers for voice/sms but the EV, if available, is from Sprint.

You might want to try roaming again to see what results you get since it seems you have the latest PRL.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Data users in Iowa?

Tags
data, des moines, iowa, speed

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: