Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
jimgriggs
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Touch Pro 2
SU$: 214
WP7 vs. EVO vs. Epic vs. iPhone

WP7 vs. EVO vs. Epic vs. iPhone

Time for a new phone. My WP6.5 (HTC Touch Pro 2) has got to go. I am a business user with the following requirements.

1. Great at making and receiving calls. Key word here: "Intuitive" and does not dial out by itself.

2. Email. Multi email accounts. Fix for "Internet Pictures Blocked" Tell it once that the sender is trusted and thats it.

3. MS Office sync including Access database. (using apps of course but not prevented by os is the concern) a friend says he can do this on his iPhone.

4. SharePoint connectivity. Available on WP7 phones and maybe on EVO (experimenting on my son's EVO but have not been able to implement)

5. Internet browsing designed for a small screen. Find both IE and Opera a pain on my WP6.5.

I would appreciate feedback mostly from business users and others who understand business needs.
jimgriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
kagee108
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC EVO
SU$: 768
I'm a TP-2 user too. I'll be interested in the replies, but I doubt we'll get much until a phone is actually released. One thing that I can determine is that Android is not for us.
kagee108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
jimgriggs
Telegraph User

What is the problem with the Android? My son has a HTC EVO and says it is his best phone to date. He has a friend with an iPhone and is glad he did not get the iPhone. I did a search on his phone for Sharepoint apps a found a couple but did not try them. Have not looked closely into email setup but will when I get a chance. My guess is that the WP7 will be best for Sharepoint and Office apps.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
dnoyes
Telegraph User

SU$: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgriggs
What is the problem with the Android? My son has a HTC EVO and says it is his best phone to date. He has a friend with an iPhone and is glad he did not get the iPhone. I did a search on his phone for Sharepoint apps a found a couple but did not try them. Have not looked closely into email setup but will when I get a chance. My guess is that the WP7 will be best for Sharepoint and Office apps.
Documents To Go 3.0 looks pretty nice for most Office-type tasks. Sharepoint support for android looks pretty anemic. You could do your company a favor and move towards things like Jira, Trac, basecamp (sadly not free), and other non-sharepoint solutions, but thats clearly another topic. :P

I'm pretty happy with my Evo, but for MS type products, you might indeed be better off with WP. Or maybe a blackberry + tablet.

Maybe you'd like the Blackberry + Playbook combo?
dnoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
kagee108
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC EVO
SU$: 768
Jim, from my research the Android operating system is not business friendly. You can make it useable to a point but not without purchasing more apps. Do a search for DROID and see how many VZ buskiness customers are happy with Android.
kagee108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
jimgriggs
Telegraph User

We are heavy into Microsoft apps (Office, Sharepoint, SQL etc.). The performance of Sharepoint 2010 with Office 2010 has inproved greatly over previous versions. Cannot say the same of the Win Phones 6.5 and prior. I will have to look again at the blackberry .. not familar with the Playbook .
Old 02-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
jimgriggs
Telegraph User

Good point. Thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
dnoyes
Telegraph User

SU$: 261
I had mentioned blackberry because its definitely more of a business phone, but I know that apps on blackberry are... well... not so hot. I have a feeling that the playbook is going to be pretty great for business folks, though. I know there's also a synergy between a blackberry phone and the blackberry tablet.

If I had business needs, i'd definitely look into this combo.
dnoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > WP7 vs. EVO vs. Epic vs. iPhone

Tags
epic, evo, iphone, wp7

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: