Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

View Poll Results: Any Epic owners switching to the Evo
Yes 13 39.39%
No 20 60.61%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
javidnky2005
Telephone User

Phone: iPhone 4S 16 GB
SU$: 1,142
Any Epic owners swtching the Evo

I am trying to gauge how everyone feels.
javidnky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Thajeffski
Telephone User

SU$: 686
Def not. The key board comes in handy and the screen on the epic is night and day different.
Thajeffski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
zuberx6
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Note ll
SU$: 2,440
Send a message via AIM to zuberx6
Ya the keyboard sliding to freely just bugs me. While I'm talking on the phone it keeps wanting to slide open. I wish it had a little more resistance the superior screen just isn't enough to make that up for me.
zuberx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
Bmerz
Telegraph User

SU$: 409
Haven't voted yet, as I haven't decided yet... But if my new Epic (2nd one) that's coming day after tomorrow, is just as bad as this one - then, I may consider Evo (if we have any in stock), or I'll have to go back to Tmo.
Bmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
aclays
Telegraph User

Phone: Samsung Epic 4g
SU$: 518
Send a message via MSN to aclays
I haven't played with an evo, but I'm very happy with my epic. The screen is incredible for watching movies, and I wanted a keyboard anyways so I can play my old NES roms better.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
Squall_Line
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC EVO
SU$: 867
It's pretty simple after owning both. The EVO is $50 less, it better built, has better software, better features, and a larger screen. It's a better phone for less money. Simple, really.
Squall_Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
jpkboca
Telephone User

SU$: 1,162
Better featres? Such as? I see it as having less features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall_Line View Post
It's pretty simple after owning both. The EVO is $50 less, it better built, has better software, better features, and a larger screen. It's a better phone for less money. Simple, really.
jpkboca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
sel1965
Cellular Phone User

Phone: EVO
SU$: 5,415
Even though they are both wonderful phones, the Epic does have more features. Not sure what the other person could be thinking.
sel1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
jessep28
That's Numberwang!

Mood: Amused
Phone: HTC EVO LTE
SU$: 66,715
Right now the Epic does have the advantage of being easier to source since they can't seem to keep the EVO in stock. I like the fact that the Epic is a little bit smaller so it's easier to carry in my hands. The keyboard is an added benefit but I'm still trying to get used to it after using Blackberry keyboards for 2 years. We'll see.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:22 AM   #10
silver98gst
Telegraph User

Phone: Samsung Epic 4g
SU$: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall_Line View Post

I use the Epic and my gf uses the Evo. The screen on the Evo may be a little bigger but when you put them side by side the super AMOLED screen looks a lot better. The Epic comes with a 16GB microSD card while the Evo only comes with a 8GB card. The Epic also has more internal storage space for apps than the Evo. The EVO has advantage of HDMI port and kickstand. The Epic relies on DLNA instead of HDMI. Camera on the Evo is a 8 megapixel on the back of the phone and a 1.3 megapixel camera in the front while the Epic has a 5 megapixel camera on the back and a front facing VGA camera. Both phones can record 720p video. A lot of people may think that because there a 3 mp difference between the two cameras that the photo quality is superior on the Evo...not true at all. I couldn't really tell a difference between the two phones in terms of photo quality. The Epic camera seems faster in terms of focusing and has more presets (i.e, Single shot, Self shot, Beauty, Smile shot, Continuous, Panorama, Vintage, Add me, Action shot, Cartoon). The continuous shooting mode is cool but you can only use it with 0.3mp mode when it takes 9 continuous shots. I wasn't able to find a option like that on the Evo.
The Epic has a 1GHz Hummingbird Cortex A8 processor while the Evo has a 1GHz Snapdragon processor. If you check benchmark tests comparing the phones processors the results do show the hummingbird processor has an advantage over the snapdragon.
Both phones have the wireless hotspot feature. The Evo can support up to 8 devices at the same time while the Epic can support up to 5 devices.
Keyboard...one of the main advantages that the Epic has is the sliding physical qwerty keypad while the Evo only has a virtual keyboard.
The Epic will have access to Samsung's Media Hub online store to purchase or rent movies. The Evo doesn't have that option. Most of us transfer movies from our computers to microSD card anyways.
Battery life...battery life on both phones aren't that great but the Epic will outlast the Evo.
The Evo uses HTC Sense while the Epic uses Touchwiz 3.0. In the end its your personal choice which phone you like. I think the shortage of the Evo's has gotten some people to desire the phone without considering other options.
silver98gst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silver98gst For This Useful Post:
Elliott (09-12-2010), loveshinesthru (09-12-2010), martycota (09-14-2010), smik (09-11-2010)
Old 09-11-2010, 06:52 AM   #11
BTSmith
Cordless Phone User

SU$: 10,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpkboca View Post
Better featres? Such as? I see it as having less features.
Evo's 3g data speeds are much much higher, both for download and upload, and it has fully working GPS. Those are elementary features.
BTSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #12
tbakergobuck
Tg1rL + Unicorn = Love

Phone: Banana Phone
Trades: 10
SU$: 166,055
Not to many Evo users switching to the Epic.
http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=211911
Old 09-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
mideastbeast
Cordless Phone User

Mood: Ninja
Phone: Note2,S3,S4
SU$: 7,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbakergobuck View Post
Not to many Evo users switching to the Epic.
http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=211911
Kind of an unfair poll since a lot of people who have Evo are probably out of their 30 day trial period so they can't really switch without paying full price. I think both phones are great and I'm very glad Sprint finally has 2 powerful phones. I have the Epic and my friend has an Evo but when he saw my screen quality he was upset about how much better it looked than his Evo screen.

If I helped hit the Thanks button.
mideastbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
rambo47
Idoru

Phone: iPhone 5s
SU$: 21,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTSmith View Post
Evo's 3g data speeds are much much higher, both for download and upload, and it has fully working GPS. Those are elementary features.
I tried them both, side by side, in my local Sprint store and the speeds were identical. Where to you get the EVO's speed being better?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #15
tbakergobuck
Tg1rL + Unicorn = Love

Phone: Banana Phone
Trades: 10
SU$: 166,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by mideastbeast View Post
Kind of an unfair poll since a lot of people who have Evo are probably out of their 30 day trial period so they can't really switch without paying full price. I think both phones are great and I'm very glad Sprint finally has 2 powerful phones. I have the Epic and my friend has an Evo but when he saw my screen quality he was upset about how much better it looked than his Evo screen.
Yes it's great that Sprint has some nice phones. In the Evo poll there's probably a fair share of phone junkies that wouldn't mind paying the difference after selling there Evo, if they liked the Epic more. I have 5 lines and have a upgrade available but I don't care for sideways slider phones plus I'm happy with my Evo.

Last edited by tbakergobuck; 09-11-2010 at 08:51 PM.
tbakergobuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > Samsung > Any Epic owners swtching the Evo

Tags
epic, samsung

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: