Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
AZUser
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 107
iPhone to EVO perspective

Hi all:

I have been on this board before when I had Sprint before I ended up being employed by AT&T. Alas, I forgot my username and the e-mail I had registered to the forums was my old college one so no way to retrieve my old info. Thus, the new name and no post count .

Anyhow, since I was employed by AT&T I purchased an iPhone. I loved the iPhone and still have it and enjoy it immensely. However, I was been really teetering on the idea of getting an EVO. I have gone into Sprint Stores a few times to get a look at it and feel for it. The form factor is fine and I have no issues with the size. My issue is I am not sure if I will get a better experience from it than my iPhone. Whenever I have played with the EVO in the store it seems to not run as smoothly as my iPhone 3GS (ie: scrolling between App screens, loading apps).

So, help me out. I'd love to hear mostly from other people who have gone from a 3GS (or 4) to an EVO since I'm sure they can give me the best perspective on the differences and what I will be using it for. Below I will list what I love about my iPhone and what I wish would change a bit. Please let me know an honest opinion.

First off, I will mention AT&T and Sprint have the same coverage here, so I'm not constrained by coverage. Second, Sprint does NOT have 4G here so it's EVDO only. Third, price does NOT matter being that I have 2 of my 4 lines in contract with AT&T and I'm on a family plan. Paying the disconnect is not an option, I may actually spend a little more to go to an EVO but that is OK.

What I love about my iPhone 3GS (in no particular order):

Speakers for listening to music - I do a lot of Pandora so I like the speakers on the phone

Smoothness of the phone - How quick I can scroll through the App windows and load the apps, I think this has to do with the OS because I know the 3GS has less hardware stats than the EVO

Certain Apps - I love addicting trivial games, such as Angry Birds and Doodle Jump, these two are trivial, addicting and fun. I also use BGR Mobile, Engadget, Stocks App, WSJ, NY Times, and many other news apps. I do not know if they are available in the Android Market.

Safari - I only have my old blackberry browser to compare, but Safari is quite nice comparatively.

Facebook App Layout - I have seen the layout on Blackberry and WinMo which are awful! I love the iPhone's layout.

iTunes Syncing - I plug my phone in nightly and it syncs everything. Not sure how Android does it, but if it's similar I'm sure this Pro will wash out.

Email & Keyboard Setup - My separate email boxes are really nice along with the ability to type different ways.

User friendly Setup - Seems very user friendly, everything is very streamlined and easy to work with.

Style - No branding of the carrier (I like this). I have also really liked the initial pictures of the all White iPhone 4.

What I dislike about my iPhone 3GS (in no particular order):

Application Crashes - This has happened frequently with BGR Mobile & now it is starting to happen on my Facebook App. I am unsure if it's the phone or the apps, however I have uninstalled and reinstalled them with no change.

No Flash - I saw that the EVO will be upgraded to Froyo soon, so that means Flash Support, but I hate that I cannot get on Flash websites, while looking for a car this was quite an inconvenience.

Battery Life - I have heard great things about the new iPhone 4 when it comes to battery, but my 3GS won't last me a day.

No Flash (Camera) - Isn't the biggest deal, but sometimes I would like to take pictures in the night.

What I use my phone for is a lot of internet surfing, music, news and a little bit of fun here and there. I do not know if this will change if I went with the EVO (or any other Android for that matter). I have never used Android so I am not very familiar with the platform (other than what I have read and my friend's Droid (which seems slow)). One thing I didn't like about the EVO in the store when I played with it was the smoothness of it, however, I spoke with someone today with one who said it may have been because of a lot of apps being open (sadly his was in his gym bag).

I have read a lot of the posts on here that compare the two, but it seems like a lot of the comparisons come from people who have an EVO and have played with their friends iPhone etc. I feel that owning and playing with are two completely different experiences.

Lastly, due to the "hotness" of the phone and my general caring for others (dunno if it's a good thing or bad thing) I do not want to "30-Day test" the phone. Reason being is if I hate it, I'd hate to have purchased one from someone else who has been looking, especially with them sold out in most places.

Thank you for reading this large post. I hope this doesn't get locked with the "Already been posted" because I don't think I have seen a post like this out there. I have searched a pretty good amount.

Regards!
AZUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
r_pad
Left Sprint for T-Mobile

Phone: HTC Evo 4G
SU$: 2,605
I use Android and iOS phones. Each platform has its advantages. For entertainment, iOS is better. To me, the greatest advantage Android has as a platform is its superior Google products. Do you use Gmail and Google Voice?
r_pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
AZUser
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 107
I use Gmail/Google Calendar. I haven't used Google Voice yet, more because of the fact that it doesn't integrate great with the iPhone. I am also not 100% familiar with the product yet.

Other than for my basic phone/SMS etc my iPhone has become a great source of entertainment for me (music, addicting games, news). Does Android not provide similar avenues?
AZUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
r_pad
Left Sprint for T-Mobile

Phone: HTC Evo 4G
SU$: 2,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZUser View Post
I use Gmail/Google Calendar. I haven't used Google Voice yet, more because of the fact that it doesn't integrate great with the iPhone. I am also not 100% familiar with the product yet.
Gmail on Android is much, much better than Gmail on iOS

Quote:
Other than for my basic phone/SMS etc my iPhone has become a great source of entertainment for me (music, addicting games, news). Does Android not provide similar avenues?
Android isn't nearly as good in terms of music, movies, and games. Obviously iTunes makes purchasing and renting media much easier. The iOS game space is one of the hottest markets in game development and there are loads of great games. As far as modern games, Android only has a fraction of the choice. If you like classic Genesis, NES, and SNES games there are some fantastic emulators available for Android that aren't available for iPhones that aren't jailbroken.
r_pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Beer Abuser
Buck extra the worth always is beer good

Mood: Buzzed
Phone: HTC PC36100
My Mood: Buzzed
SU$: 64,496
My best recommendation is to try both of them for yourself, no matter what people say / write, personal experience will be the real test; everything else will follow.

I can say that most of the apps you listed are on Android and more to follow like angry birds; an article was just released stating Android to hit 100k by end of month - you can check current apps at cyrket.com

I will honestly say Android is for optimizing for greater battery life, OS openness & tinkering to your style, no Android looks the same, even within same models - look at screenshot thread here.

Lastly, since it seems you are keeping with Android OS, more capabilities will follow; I preferred Google running my boat - my $.02.

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Beer Abuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:02 AM   #6
goodiemob
9330 curve 3G

Phone: curve 3G
SU$: 3,195
can you fit all 100 k apps one your phone?that would be remarkable.
goodiemob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 AM   #7
Beer Abuser
Buck extra the worth always is beer good

Mood: Buzzed
Phone: HTC PC36100
My Mood: Buzzed
SU$: 64,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodiemob View Post
can you fit all 100 k apps one your phone?that would be remarkable.
Just in case...

Let me clarify the point I was trying to make, market is growing rapidly and the apps he wants should / might be around the corner.

Why would you want all possible apps on the phone? It would be a pita to find one and secondly, half of them would prolly suck, just like on any OS....

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Beer Abuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:35 AM   #8
Matt -- HB Cali
Telephone User

Phone: HTC EVO
SU$: 1,026
Send a message via AIM to Matt -- HB Cali
Smile

Do you need your phone to make calls?? That's always an important consideration when deciding between an iphone4 or an EVO.
Matt -- HB Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:22 AM   #9
Scrumptious
SEXY PHONE GEEK!

Mood: Chatty
Phone: 64gb iPhone 5
Trades: 3
My Mood: Chatty
SU$: 8,941
Send a message via MSN to Scrumptious Send a message via Yahoo to Scrumptious Send a message via Skype™ to Scrumptious
I left AT&T and the iPhone to come back to Sprint. I have my iPhone 3g(s) at home and use it on Wifi if I really just wanna do something different but there are not many apps that I can not find in the Android market that I had on my iPhone.

I am more of just a geek who like to play on different types of phones and such. iPhone is a great device but I really think a lot of people get caught up in the hype. I played with my co-workers iPhone 4 and have no regrets on leaving to try out Android because I had heard so many great things about it.

Outside of having most things you can have on your iPhone are the bonus items because being limited with the iPhone for a while I stopped thinking outside the box. (I say limited but I was jailbroken so I had many of the apps free and did a lot of custom stuff to the phone) I have almost had this phone a month and am STILL finding new things to do to it and with it which is really great for me because I am one who loses interest fast.

For example (just a small one) my text messaging is just like it was on my iPhone BUT I have different colored bubbles based on who I am speaking with and wallpapers for each person. There is no I accidentally text the wrong person because friend #1 has a green bubble with black text with a picture of a dog in the background of our convo and my parents have my sons pic in the background with a blue bubble with white text. also their pics show up in the convo like a chat.

There are many other things to this phone but that is one SMALL example of how much more open the world of Android is...
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @Scrumptyous1
Scrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #10
Dordy
Telegraph User

SU$: 78
The EVO 4g is spectacular...the iOS needs a lot of improvements before actually being and android competitor....and if all about the apps..android will also take over that department sometime in the summer 2011...hopefully after a year of such technological improvements in smartphone technology...apple can actually produce a product that is not only aesthetically pleasing but show how far technology has progressed since last year
Dordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > HTC > iPhone to EVO perspective

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: