Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 04-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Andre
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Sprint EVO
SU$: 16,875
Send a message via AIM to Andre Send a message via Yahoo to Andre Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
Android passes iPhone in U.S. traffic

http://www.fevermagazine.com/a/techn...iphone-us.html

We saw this one coming, but I did not think it would happen so soon. In AdMob’s latest March report, Android has surpassed the iPhone and accounts for a greater share of smartphone requests in the United States. AdMob does not represent the traditional view of market share (based on the number of handsets sold), but their reports still provide some insightful data

Android now accounts for 46% of U.S. smartphone share, while iPhone OS slid to 39%. A greater percentage of Android apps are offered for free so more developers have turned to ads in order to monetize their work.

Google recently acquired AdMob, but the deal is far from done. The FTC is still negotiating with Google, but it looks like our government will try to block the proposed acquisition.

Android highlights from the report include:

* Two Android devices, the HTC Dream and HTC Magic, collectively represented 96% of Android traffic in September 2009. Seven months later, 11 devices represented 96% of Android traffic in the AdMob network.
* In March 2010, Android traffic share on the AdMob network was divided relatively evenly between the three primary versions of the Android OS: Android 1.5 (38%), Android 2.0 / 2.1 (35%) and Android 1.6 (26%).
* Motorola was the leading Android manufacturer with 44% share of traffic in March 2010 due to the success of the Droid and CLIQ. HTC was a close second with 43% of requests, followed by Samsung with 9%.
* The Android platform has experienced significant growth in monthly traffic over the past year. Android traffic has grown at a compounded monthly growth rate of 32% per month, going from 72 million requests in March 2009 to 2.0 billion in March 2010.
* Two Android devices, the HTC Dream and HTC Magic, collectively represented 96% of Android traffic in September 2009. Seven months later, 11 devices represented 96% of Android traffic in the AdMob network.
* The Motorola Droid was the leading Android handset in March 2010 and generated 32% of worldwide Android traffic. The Google Nexus One only generated 2% of Android traffic in March 2010.
* The top Android devices vary by country. The top three devices in the US were the Motorola Droid, HTC Dream and Motorola CLIQ. In comparison, the top three Android devices in the UK were the HTC Hero, HTC Dream and HTC Magic.
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andre For This Useful Post:
DJRider (04-27-2010)
Old 04-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
mbell75
Account Inactive

Phone: Nexus S 4G
SU$: 8,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
AdMob does not represent the traditional view of market share (based on the number of handsets sold) Android has surpassed the iPhone and accounts for a greater share of smartphone requests in the United States.
Thats what you need to look at right there. The report is not accurate. Market share is based on units sold, they are basing this off smartphone REQUESTS. Huge difference from actual units sold. Wonder which Android fanboy created this graph?
mbell75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
boo5ted
Telephone User

Phone: HERO
SU$: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Thats what you need to look at right there. The report is not accurate. Market share is based on units sold, they are basing this off smartphone REQUESTS. Huge difference from actual units sold. Wonder which Android fanboy created this graph?

Dude just go back to apple discussions or Mac Forums. All you do here is start crap and argue with everyone. Hopefully your fate here will end like it did at androidforums.
Got dang auto text lol
boo5ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
jonnythan
Cucumber Cowboy

Phone: Nexus S
SU$: 5,025
Quote:
The article is not talking about market share or units sold at all. It's talking about web traffic originating from each type of device.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
BerryChic
another word 4 thesaurus?

Mood: Amused
Phone: hTC EVO
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 31,957
Quote:
.....Wonder which Android fanboy created this graph?
lol AdMob is not an Android fanboy... it's a huge mobile advertising network

BerryChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
Beer Abuser
Buck extra the worth always is beer good

Mood: Buzzed
Phone: HTC PC36100
My Mood: Buzzed
SU$: 64,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo5ted View Post
Dude just go back to apple discussions or Mac Forums. All you do here is start crap and argue with everyone. Hopefully your fate here will end like it did at androidforums.
Love that huge popocorn bucket, I never seen that before & I never knew his fate was ended at AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryChic View Post
lol AdMob is not an Android fanboy... it's a huge mobile advertising network
Not to stir, but I thought google bought admob, but you might be right as in it's not an only adroid device company.

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thre..._buys_adm.html

I don't think iphone uses same ad company, but i do believe they are about to get swamped with ads on their free apps.

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/20...le-ad-company/

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Beer Abuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
BerryChic
another word 4 thesaurus?

Mood: Amused
Phone: hTC EVO
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 31,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Abuser View Post
Not to stir, but I thought google bought admob, but you might be right as in it's not an only adroid device company.

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thre..._buys_adm.html

I don't think iphone uses same ad company, but i do believe they are about to get swamped with ads on their free apps.

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/20...le-ad-company/
Deal's not done but I understand what you are saying. But Admob is very big with very prestigious clients. I don't see them skewing results for anything. I think the comment made earlier was to insinuate that it was some blogger generating results but this is a generated source based on accumulated data. This is based on the data. They are mainly an in-app ad focused mobile advertising where a lot of their advertisements can be seen in iphone apps as well.

BerryChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Beer Abuser
Buck extra the worth always is beer good

Mood: Buzzed
Phone: HTC PC36100
My Mood: Buzzed
SU$: 64,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryChic View Post
Deal's not done but I understand what you are saying. But Admob is very big with very prestigious clients. I don't see them skewing results for anything. I think the comment made earlier was to insinuate that it was some blogger generating results but this is a generated source based on accumulated data. This is based on the data. They are mainly an in-app ad focused mobile advertising where a lot of their advertisements can be seen in iphone apps as well.
Point taken

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Beer Abuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
GoldenBlaze
Account Locked

Mood: Relaxed
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 23,236
Quote:
Everyone knows Apple toppled all mobile phone manufacturers in units sold. That's old news. Please push forward.
GoldenBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
jonnythan
Cucumber Cowboy

Phone: Nexus S
SU$: 5,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBlaze View Post
Everyone knows Apple toppled all mobile phone manufacturers in units sold. That's old news. Please push forward.
It's not old news, it's false news. That's not true at all. Apple isn't even in the top 5.

It's a different story if you're talking about smartphones, but globally smartphones are a small portion of the market.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #11
boo5ted
Telephone User

Phone: HERO
SU$: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Abuser View Post
Love that huge popocorn bucket, I never seen that before & I never knew his fate was ended at AF
Yep, sucks he got IOWA banned in the process tho.

http://androidforums.com/members/mbell75.html
Got dang auto text lol
boo5ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #12
GoldenBlaze
Account Locked

Mood: Relaxed
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 23,236
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; A6277 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBlaze View Post
It's not old news, it's false news. That's not true at all. Apple isn't even in the top 5.

It's a different story if you're talking about smartphones, but globally smartphones are a small portion of the market.
Good point.
GoldenBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > Android passes iPhone in U.S. traffic

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: