Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 11-24-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
Schubatis1
Wolverine

Phone: Palm Centro
SU$: 132
Can I Upgrade to a Smart Phone without Changing My Plan?

I have has a Fair & Flexible Family 800 minute plan for 4 years this January. In addition, my phone has the $5/month Sprint Unlimited Vision Pack which includes 100 SMS per month. I had no problem transferring it from my old phone to my Katana when I got it two years ago.

I am eligible to upgrade my phone this December and I would like to upgrade it to a Smart Phone (I'm looking at the Blackberry Pearl and the Palm Centro). Is there any way I can do that without changing my data plan? Is there any difference getting it to work on the Pearl vs. the Centro because of the Blackberry data plan?

Another few odd questions: Do both of these phones support POP3 e-mail (and with what service)? Do they support Outlook 2007 schedules?
Schubatis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:52 AM   #2
1QWKCRX
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Touch Pro
SU$: 113
With the Blackberry, you do have to upgrade to the everything plan and maybe more due to the Blackberry's os. The only smart phone I know of right now that doesnt require upgrading for normal operation is the HTC Touch Pro because it can run on WiFi. However if if you do want internet, Navigation/gps, etc you will need to upgrade.
1QWKCRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
bubbatex
Wasting too much time on forums

Phone: uh.....
Trades: 1
SU$: 12,465
As soon as you upgrade to a smartphone - they have to change your data plan. Does not mean they still might not give it to you for free or keep it at $5 (Centro only, doubt you will get as lucky with a BB), but you still need a new data plan.

All smartphones/PDA's support POP e-mail and both support Outlook 2007.
bubbatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
kapqh4
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWKCRX View Post
With the Blackberry, you do have to upgrade to the everything plan and maybe more due to the Blackberry's os. The only smart phone I know of right now that doesnt require upgrading for normal operation is the HTC Touch Pro because it can run on WiFi. However if if you do want internet, Navigation/gps, etc you will need to upgrade.
Not true. I have Fair and Flexible family 700 with $10 EVDO on my line with the touch pro. I did not have to upgrade plan or data plan. Still exact same payment each month.
kapqh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
Schubatis1
Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapqh4 View Post
Not true. I have Fair and Flexible family 700 with $10 EVDO on my line with the touch pro. I did not have to upgrade plan or data plan. Still exact same payment each month.
Are you able to still use the Blackberry e-mail program and web browser program? What was the trick to keeping that plan?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
kapqh4
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schubatis1 View Post
Are you able to still use the Blackberry e-mail program and web browser program? What was the trick to keeping that plan?
I'm not using a blackberry... I have a touch pro. I bought the pro from Best Buy when it came out to get the 20% coupon that bb had going on for smart phones. She asked if I wanted to change anything in my plan, I said no, and that was it. New phone, no changes to plan...
kapqh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
LJA
Grumpy old Dog

Phone: Appl iPhone 3gs
SU$: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
As soon as you upgrade to a smartphone - they have to change your data plan. Does not mean they still might not give it to you for free or keep it at $5 (Centro only, doubt you will get as lucky with a BB), but you still need a new data plan.

All smartphones/PDA's support POP e-mail and both support Outlook 2007.
The Palm OS Centro supports POP and Outlook?
Old 11-28-2008, 02:26 AM   #8
gmplr831
Cellphone master

Phone: Galaxy Note 2
SU$: 598
Send a message via AIM to gmplr831
Never had to change my plan when I upgraded. Still have the same plan whether I have a simple dumbphone or the smartphone category
Old 11-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #9
bubbatex
Wasting too much time on forums

Phone: uh.....
Trades: 1
SU$: 12,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJA View Post
The Palm OS Centro supports POP and Outlook?
Does your 700p? Same basic OS, isn't it? (Don't know for sure b/c I have not actually owned one myself, but I had an older Treo that did).
bubbatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
Milenko
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Palm Pre
SU$: 7,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
Does your 700p? Same basic OS, isn't it? (Don't know for sure b/c I have not actually owned one myself, but I had an older Treo that did).
My old 700p supported Exchange Active sync and POP3. Yes, the 700p and the Centro use the same Garnet OS (Palm OS) so the Centro will work with Outlook syncing or an Exchange server
Milenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #11
Schubatis1
Wolverine

I upgraded my phone today to a Centro. The salesman didn't give me any trouble about not upgrading my data plan, I just had to pay $100 more for the phone (when I upgraded my phone last time I had a hard time holding on to my plan).

Thanks for the help!
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Can I Upgrade to a Smart Phone without Changing My Plan?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: