Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
SNI.SRD
It's the PCS (Personal Cellular Service!) way.

Phone: Nokia 5190
SU$: 1,742
Exclamation Sprint is NOW LIMITING DATA USAGE - 5GB - just like the rest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Sprint Memo
"Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred and to deny, terminate, modify, or suspend service if usage exceeds 5GB per month in total or 300MB/month while off-network roaming. Check your subscriber agreement rights on Sprint.com"
Will they enforce it or not... we will find out. They also mentioned in another e-mail that they will be enforcing the 800min per month roaming rule; and termination letters are being sent out. You can leave ETF free!

And they are changing the Terms of Service which will be affective July 13th. So that is another way to easily get out of contract. It seems as though this is only applying to PAM and Data Card plans - and not to Vision/PowerVision Pacakges (that is how it seems...). From the memos we got - but we could be interpreting it incorrectly.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

BUT! - Terms of Service effective on July 31st - so you should have the normal 30 day window to cancel without paying the ETF fee if you choose. Just beware AT&T and Verizon also have data caps (the same or less usage than Sprint).
T-Mobile: 2500 Nationwide FamilyTalk Plan (2 lines) for $99.99. I also have $9.99 Unlimited Family Messaging US/Canada, $25.00 Unlimited Family Data Pack, three add-a-lines at $9.99 a piece, and a $10 loyalty discount. That comes out to... $165.00 total, or $33.00/line (before taxes & 12% Corp Disc). Plus FamilyAllowances, unlimited MyFaves, unlimited Hotspot@Home calling, unlimited 9PM N/Ws, unlimited M2M, Visual VoiceMail, GPS Navigation, and 500 CF Mins included on all lines at no extra cost.

Last edited by SNI.SRD; 05-16-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
Going after those that don't have a PAM or data card plan for exceeding 5GB a month seems reasonable. Changing the "rules" for existing data card plans seems nuts though.

I don't believe you can terminate your line of service over the change in the PAM terms though, as you can add or remove PAM at will, right? The only thing you should be able to do is terminate the PAM service with no additional fee, or terminate the data card plan due to this change.

I hope sprint is smart and just slows the speeds down, or offers the customer another 5GB of data at a fee of something like $10 at the standard speeds. Be quite embarrassing to try and download some software updates for your laptop and a couple new programs and then find out you can't get your work presentations at a "normal" speed because you hit the 5GB number.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
INTERNET2000
Digital PCS User

Mood: Happy
Phone: Apple iPhone 4
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 16,699
Unfortunately, this is true.

Edit: I wonder if they are going to change the name of the aircard plan from Unlimited to 5GB like Verizon?!?

Last edited by INTERNET2000; 05-16-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
knytphal
Bows down to the current Frogger champ!

Phone: HTC 8925 on Tmo
Trades: 4
SU$: 14,396
That kind of stinks, but I guess I'm not surprised. So if you have PAM (or datacard) your limited to 5G a month? Or if you have those your fine and it's business as usual? Are they thinking that with all the TV and data services that they provide (and encourage) you to use that you won't go over the limit on a phone?
Old 05-16-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
BDRichter
CSI - Level 3

Phone: iPhone - AT&T
SU$: 2,860
Send a message via AIM to BDRichter Send a message via Yahoo to BDRichter
So if instead of getting a landline DSL internet service, I get this sprint aircard and pay MORE than I would for DSL, and yet.... theres a cap on how much I can use? Sounds kinda stupid to me!!!!!

What if you use a lot of chat rooms, or watch movies online, or upload photos.....

5gb will go fast. Its not going to be worth the money pretty soon!!!!
Old 05-16-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
Steve B
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: iPhone 3GS 32GB
SU$: 958
Wait a minute....this is for when you're roaming with a data card or PAM right? It says above off-network roaming. If you going over that amount while roaming....then yeah, I can see why Sprint will have a fit.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #7
cirruslyloud
Account Inactive

Phone: Constant Change
Trades: 19
SU$: 12,614
Send a message via AIM to cirruslyloud
No, it says if you reach 5GB/month total, OR 300MB/month while "off-network"
Old 05-16-2008, 05:51 PM   #8
Steve B
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: iPhone 3GS 32GB
SU$: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirruslyloud View Post
No, it says if you reach 5GB/month total, OR 300MB/month while "off-network"
Oh...okay, I stand corrected...thank you.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #9
leicabug
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Touch Pro 2
SU$: 2,384
Wink

I got out of my data plan contract in Jan of this year because Sprint changed the fee. That was only 5 months into a new contract. I am now 2 months into my new data card contract, and I can terminate without ETF again? Life is too good!
Old 05-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #10
INTERNET2000
Digital PCS User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDRichter View Post
What if you use a lot of chat rooms, or watch movies online, or upload photos.....

5gb will go fast. Its not going to be worth the money pretty soon!!!!
I agree...I could never make Sprint my primary internet connection with this change to the terms and conditions. Sprint may be loosing a good number of data customers. They advocate on their own website the use of a mobile broadband router (to connect multiple people on one connection) and think that the end user is going to stay under the cap?!? I think this change is going to hit the fan...It is one thing to include a clause about Sprint reserving the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred and to deny, terminate, modify, or suspend service if the pattern of usage becomes overly excessive, but it is another thing to suddenly put a cap on an unlimited plan.

I cannot see WiMax being a hit if this is the kind of trend that continues.

Last edited by INTERNET2000; 05-16-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #11
a656991
live free

SU$: 1,753
If they change this I will be very angry. I download large files and do a lot of data exchange each month - well in excess of 5G. I guess if they do I'll have to go back to road runner.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #12
INTERNET2000
Digital PCS User

A656991 - I think it is just a matter of when and not a matter of if.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #13
MISTRESS
Don't Make Me the Object of Your Insecurities

Mood: InLove
Phone: Palm
My Mood: InLove
SU$: 5,698
Angry Way 2 Much Drama

Whaaat is Going On? ???
I use PAM with my Ultimate Vision and would hate to see it capped or GOne. Same thing for the U720 which I chose over the cheaper DSL.

Now that I've finally gotten used to my plan, features, bill, etc. , I could have to do this all over again somewhere else????...Sometime soon????
Unlimited is what I Need and I won't set myself up for per kb disaster
I really hope that this doesn't happen but I will start shopping around just in case.
I dont know who's calling these shots or why but Im getting tired of "worrying" about the future of my cell relationship with Sprint. Will I keep my discount, Is my acct properly notated,Am I 'Marked', Will I be Overcharged again this month, randomly terminated, Etc and now Limited Data.
very Bad
Old 05-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #14
jessep28
That's Numberwang!

Mood: Amused
Phone: HTC EVO LTE
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 67,060
Could this be a partial response to VOIP services like Skype? It seems from the rumor pipeline, albeit last year, that Skype was toying with some Smartphone applications.

If true, all a user would have to do is get a mobile data plan, throw Skype on his/her Blackberry and chat away.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:32 PM   #15
Chris Price
Account Locked

Phone: HTC Titan
SU$: 2,147
Send a message via AIM to Chris Price
While AT&T does have a cap, it's pretty useless now. You can set up a GoPhone account with data-only service for $20/month. Even if you hit 5 GB (and they cancel your account), there's no way to link the account to you, so you can just set up a new one.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Sprint is NOW LIMITING DATA USAGE - 5GB - just like the rest...

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: