Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 10-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Studintx
Master of Mobiles

Phone: Touch Pro
Trades: 1
SU$: 24,851
Send a message via AIM to Studintx Send a message via MSN to Studintx Send a message via Yahoo to Studintx
4 Year Old Dies After Falling Over Side Of Grand Canyon

The family was walking along a path, soaking in the breathtaking views. Seconds later their 4-year-old girl went tumbling down the canyon.

Park Service employee Karyl Yeston said "We immediately put rescuers over the edge on ropes to access her. She was quite a ways down."
The little girl was with her family near Mather Point. A guardrail surrounds the overlook. But head down the path and there isn't one, just the steep and rugged cliffs.

Yeston said "It's steep..."

The paved path is only about 15 feet from the canyon's edge. Park officials are still unsure if the little girl wandered away or if the family walked close to the rim to look over.

Call to 911 came pouring in as her father raced down the mountain.

"The father immediately went over after her and started CPR," said Yeston.

Hours later, the Marshall family shows up from Washington D.C. for their first visit to the Grand Canyon.

Michael Marshall said "You know, everybody's thinking about that. You bring kids up here, you just want to hang on to them."

Park officials say they respond to about 2 to 3 fatal falls every year, but the little girl is the first young child to die in more than 20 years.

It's a terrible tragedy that is now under investigation.

By NBC.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
thesonofgray
Kowabunga Dude!

Phone: HTC Evo 4G
Trades: 4
SU$: 34,637
Unfortunate, but you can't expect a 4 year old to understand the dangers of the Grand Canyon.

This reminds me of a REALLY good book about deaths in the Grand Canyon. I know it sounds very morbid, but it's actually very very interesting. Check it out here.
thesonofgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:54 AM   #3
MidwestDrummer
Digital PCS User

Phone: Samsung Note II
Trades: 2
SU$: 21,824
Send a message via Skype™ to MidwestDrummer
When it's a tourist attraction as large and as popular as the Grand Canyon, there needs to be a set boundary with a firm established barrier that prevents people from even getting to the rim without having to climb over said barrier.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:05 AM   #4
some18mybrain
Still Going Strong

Mood: Mellow
Phone: Galaxy SIII
Trades: 2
My Mood: Mellow
SU$: 29,551
I know it's probably said all the time, but weren't her parents watching her??
Every smile that lights my face; Every teardrop, every trace; Every secret hidden place; Belongs to you. Everything that's good in me; All I'll ever hope to be; Every drop of every dream; Belongs to you.
Frank and Rebecca - Joined forever on May 16th, 2009
some18mybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
IncredibleLee
Say whaaaatttt?

Phone: BBerry 8703e
SU$: 2,192
Send a message via Yahoo to IncredibleLee
Quote:
Originally Posted by some18mybrain View Post
I know it's probably said all the time, but weren't her parents watching her??
Easier said than done. You can't watch them every single minute of the day but in an area that is obviously a little out of the norm and a wee bit dangerous to boot, I would have thought they would have exercised a bit more care. This is a tragedy and I'm trying not to criticize but
IncredibleLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:03 AM   #6
ikandi

Mood: Mellow
Phone: White 4s
Trades: 22
My Mood: Mellow
SU$: 19,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by IncredibleLee View Post
Easier said than done. You can't watch them every single minute of the day but in an area that is obviously a little out of the norm and a wee bit dangerous to boot, I would have thought they would have exercised a bit more care. This is a tragedy and I'm trying not to criticize but
Exactly, you would think the father or mother would have held her hand
Old 10-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
mjohns2
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Sanyo 5500
SU$: 2,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikandi View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking.
mjohns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:36 AM   #8
icsedge1
Iowa Hawkeyes

Phone: HTC EVO 4G
SU$: 1,837
Send a message via AIM to icsedge1 Send a message via MSN to icsedge1 Send a message via Yahoo to icsedge1 Send a message via Skype™ to icsedge1
barricades would destroy the awesome natural beauty. parents must take care of little ones. it's that simple.

Sedge
The NYC 4g bandwagon has pulled into the station. Now departing as a supersonic fighter!
icsedge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #9
Aleko
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Galaxy S3
Trades: 9
SU$: 14,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikandi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by icsedge1 View Post
parents must take care of little ones. it's that simple.
Obviously spoken by someone who doesn't have kids...

Yes, parents should be watching them and they do, but as has been mentioned before, you can't do it every second, especially if you have more than one child. And believe me, it doesn't take more than a few seconds for kids (especially of that age) to get in trouble. I'm usually all for criticizing parents for not paying enough attention to their kids and not laying the blame on someobody else, but in this case, I think the "Grand Canyon management" is just as much at fault for not providing enough barricades.
Aleko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #10
Quixote42
Telephone User

Phone: ppc-6800
SU$: 712
having had a rather active child myself, it is impossible to be on them all the time. a child has the ability to slip from your hand and be god knows where in a split second. If I didn't know better I would have sworn my child ciuld teleport. While parents have to be more reponsible and you can never push off care for your child on another. The reponsibility lies somewhere in the middle between the facility for making it safe and the parents for ensuring the child's safety.
Quixote42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:48 PM   #11
IncredibleLee
Say whaaaatttt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote42 View Post
having had a rather active child myself, it is impossible to be on them all the time. a child has the ability to slip from your hand and be god knows where in a split second. If I didn't know better I would have sworn my child ciuld teleport. While parents have to be more reponsible and you can never push off care for your child on another. The reponsibility lies somewhere in the middle between the facility for making it safe and the parents for ensuring the child's safety.

Amen amen...lol. There needs to be a happy medium in there. And I do not know if they had more children - you cannot hold on to ALL of them at the same time. This still makes me sooooooooooooo but it hurts no one worse than the parents. It is easy for us to criticize after the fact.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #12
Quixote42
Telephone User

exactly, it is always easy to critisize without all the facts. It does just scare people tho and make people think.

Visit the Donation Center if you need SU$ or have extra to donate.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:23 PM   #13
JSMZ
Life is getting better

Mood: Dead
Phone: touch pro
My Mood: Dead
SU$: 2,935
Yeah, I have a kid. You cant watch them ALL the time, but when your 15 feet away from a cliff that drops off a mile into the earth you damn well better make sure you know where your kid is and what their doing. If not, your a horrible parent.
JSMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #14
IncredibleLee
Say whaaaatttt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMZ View Post
Yeah, I have a kid. You cant watch them ALL the time, but when your 15 feet away from a cliff that drops off a mile into the earth you damn well better make sure you know where your kid is and what their doing. If not, your a horrible parent.
Or a really great parent who made a horrible mistake.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #15
Quixote42
Telephone User

I wish I lived in your world where all parents are perfect. I know that I have made mistakes and am sure I will make more. Look at the general state toward children today though, everything is blamed on the parents if the slightest thing happens. Today children dont have neighborhoods, they make playdates. They are protected from the slightest thing going wrong. I seem to recall that when I, at least, was young that bumps and bruises and such were a part of life. Now if a kid gets a scratch, he has bad parents. What has changed? Are parents held to perfect standards now or are children just not expected to experience life? Do NOT take this as an endorsement of the parents behaviour, but parents are only human. They were taking their child to a place to educate and share with their child. Is a parent that leaves there kid in front of an XBox a better parent because their children never are in danger?

Visit the Donation Center if you need SU$ or have extra to donate.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > The SU Lounge > Watercooler > 4 Year Old Dies After Falling Over Side Of Grand Canyon