Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
Shafted_Sprint
Two Cans & String User

Phone: CDM120SP
SU$: 20
Sprint Giving Military Members the Boot

I have been a Sprint customer for over 5 years now. Just shortly after my unit returned from Iraq, we recieved notification that we would be redeployed to West Point to train cadets over the summer. With almost 1/3 of the unit being Sprint customers, almost 200 soldiers, one of the first things we did was get online and consult Sprints coverage map to ensure that we would have service once we arrived. We where relieved to see that we would in fact have service and did not take any preventive measures in making sure that we would be able to maintain a reliable means of communication to our families back home. The area we would be staying in was actually catagorized as having "best" coverage.

After we arived however, we where disgruntled to find that the service was not "best", there was no service at all. A few of us that used Sprints free roaming feature informed others of this service Sprint offered, and many called and enrolled. Even with roaming, calls are sketchy at best, and very unreliable, but we where satisfied to at least be able to call home for a few minutes an evening and let our families know that we where well.

And now comes the kicker. Many of us Sprint customers recieved a letter at the begining of this month declaring that our Sprint account will be cancelled on July 30th due to the amount of roaming we are doing. The letter stated that they believe that another carrier will be able to serve us better and that we are recieving the boot. Keep in mind, we are not here permanently, or by choice. This is a two month obligation that we had to fulfil, and because of it, Sprint is telling us good bye. We will be returning to our home station, where we have clear Sprint service, FIFTEEN days after the cancellation of our accounts. I personally know at least 10 soldiers that called and explained this situation to Sprint and was told everything was fine.

Because we recently came back from a deployment to Iraq, many Sprint users bought new phones in order to catch up the updates in technology that we missed out on over the 12 months we spent out of country. As we all know, Sprint phones are not interchangable with other carriers, and these are basically going to be very expensive paper weights for many members of the unit. I broke my phone on a training excercise, and did not have insurance on it, so I called to order a new phone. Sprint sold me a new phone at full price THE DAY that thier cancellation notice was mailed to me. When I ordered the new phone, I agian asked the sales rep about the free roaming, and explained my current situation, and was told that everything was fine, and asked for my credit card information.

This is the icing on the top as far as Sprint Customer Service goes. Why on earth I cant get coverage at the United States Military Academy, 40 minutes away from New York City is a mystery to me. I had a cell phone the entire time I was in Iraq with a middle eastern company. I payed LESS to call home and keep in touch from the otherside of the world than I do now with Sprint to call within the country. It also did not matter if I was in a major city or out in the middle of nowhere in the desert, I ALWAYS had full coverage. Never had a dropped call, and the customer reps of that company spoke better English than those with Sprint do.

This is just step one, next I will be contacting every news agency I can get ahold, with the support of 200 to be canceled soldiers, and then my Senator.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
Ronkh
Evil Kraut driving mod

Mood: Menopausal
Phone: EVO, Tour
Trades: 1
SU$: 42,558
Send a message via AIM to Ronkh
This person is the original authour of the the piece, so I am going to re-open it.

I am sorry for the confusion

Last edited by Ronkh; 07-06-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
jivey
iPhone Wench

Phone: iPhone
SU$: 603
Send a message via AIM to jivey
Good luck Shafted...its bad enough Sprint did this at all, but to do it to our military when they are serving our country...that is WRONG on so many levels.

Off topic rant: While catching up on my reading of Miss Diva's thread I got a Pic Mail, after 4 tries of trying to view it I gave up. Urgh...I don't like Sprint right now at all. *makes mental note to email ECare to see when my contract ends (since I can't trust the website)*

P. S. Shafted...Welcome to SU!!! Stick around even if you change carriers.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
Ronkh
Evil Kraut driving mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivey
Good luck Shafted...its bad enough Sprint did this at all, but to do it to our military when they are serving our country...that is WRONG on so many levels.

Off topic rant: While catching up on my reading of Miss Diva's thread I got a Pic Mail, after 4 tries of trying to view it I gave up. Urgh...I don't like Sprint right now at all. *makes mental note to email ECare to see when my contract ends (since I can't trust the website)*

P. S. Shafted...Welcome to SU!!! Stick around even if you change carriers.

That'll cost ya 4 contacts. Watch those or you may be a problem customer.

sorry to jack the thread
Old 07-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
YPG
You down with YPG?

Mood: onvacation
Phone: M1 for life!
Trades: 13
SU$: 38,735
I would contact the IG.
No one messes with Uncle Sam!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
tel0004
Cordless Phone User

Phone: BB Curve 3G
Trades: 2
SU$: 5,154
I don't know what you expect. The fine print says not to use more than 50% roaming, and you used 100%. I can see being upset about not having coverage, when it was advertised as such, but sprint has the right to enforce their terms and conditions. The lack of coverage might even have something to do with the military not allowing sprint repeaters on the base, so if you are in the middle, you are far away from a repeater, if thats the case.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
Ronkh
Evil Kraut driving mod

Personally maybe I expected a little compassion from sprint. As well as it was a short occourance. As well as maybe a little lattitude for the people who protect our freedoms and liberty.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #8
fakeguy

Mood: Aggressive
Phone: EVO
SU$: 7,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafted_Sprint
This is just step one, next I will be contacting every news agency I can get ahold, with the support of 200 to be canceled soldiers, and then my Senator.
Do all that and anything else you can. Sprint is going to far with this now...
Old 07-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #9
ilovesprint01
Telephone User

Phone: BB 9650 Bold
SU$: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by tel0004
I don't know what you expect. The fine print says not to use more than 50% roaming, and you used 100%. I can see being upset about not having coverage, when it was advertised as such, but sprint has the right to enforce their terms and conditions. The lack of coverage might even have something to do with the military not allowing sprint repeaters on the base, so if you are in the middle, you are far away from a repeater, if thats the case.
This may be true but Sprint has a responsibility to ensure that the military personnel receive warnings or at least special consideration...To single them out with everyone else is purely callous and a testament to their poor customer service. If the military didn't make their enormous sacrifices none of us would be protected. I don't think this policy is fair to the customers at all. It doesn't give them an opportunity to give their side first. I for one would not want to remain with a company who sent me a Dear John letter.

P.S. Not sure if I love Sprint right now.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #10
jivey
iPhone Wench

Phone: iPhone
SU$: 603
Send a message via AIM to jivey
Quote:
Originally Posted by tel0004
Did you read in his post how he explained the situation about why he was there and roaming and asked if it was okay and they told him he was fine? I can't believe (sadly I can) that Sprint would cancel someone (200 someones actually) in the military that had to be in a roaming area for 2 months.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:43 PM   #11
Ronkh
Evil Kraut driving mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesprint01
This may be true but Sprint has a responsibility to ensure that the military personnel receive warnings or at least special consideration...To single them out with everyone else is purely callous and a testament to their poor customer service. If the military didn't make their enormous sacrifices none of us would be protected. I don't think this policy is fair to the customers at all. It doesn't give them an opportunity to give their side first. I for one would not want to remain with a company who sent me a Dear John letter.

P.S. Not sure if I love Sprint right now.

considering your screen name and you've been a member since 04, that should say alot to sprint

hey sprint WAKEY WAKEY
Old 07-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #12
krudl3r
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Nexus 5 (32 GB)
SU$: 4,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkh
Personally maybe I expected a little compassion from sprint. As well as it was a short occourance. As well as maybe a little lattitude for the people who protect our freedoms and liberty.
A better position for Sprint would be to offer free service for all the heroes that refuse to deploy into an immoral and marginally legal war for a fascist President.

The OP certainly doesn't want to protect Sprint's freedom to enforce its TOS... how ironic.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:07 PM   #13
Ronkh
Evil Kraut driving mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdiva
Updated the person at ZDNet w/ the new info and he's as disgusted as we are re: military.

His post is already up here:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=1995

The S has just hit the F.
from her thread
Old 07-06-2007, 10:33 PM   #14
YPG
You down with YPG?

Mood: onvacation
Phone: M1 for life!
Trades: 13
SU$: 38,735
Could you post a copy of the letter? with personal info blacked out of course
Old 07-06-2007, 10:40 PM   #15
olddog
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Touch Pro
SU$: 2,141
I think this is going to have worse implications for Sprint than the event with MissDiva. Smacking the military in face is terrible.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Sprint Giving Military Members the Boot

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: