Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #16
sfhub
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 25,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendog210 View Post
Needless to say they need to fix the mis-representation on their website. It is not unlimited so they need to fix this. More people will look at their bill and account online then they will read the entire T&C.
Sprint wants to play a little loose because it isn't a hard 300mb cap. You get a few chances at 300mb before they start warning you. So while it isn't unlimited, it also isn't 300mb in a month at it stops working or you get overages.

Instead of unlimited, they should probably use the word "Included" per your terms&conditions
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #17
variablebinary
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Lurking
Phone: iPhone 5S AT&T
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 12,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxjdoggxxx View Post
If you would have actually read all of my post you would know that I rarely ever roam. I never said anywhere roaming is a right. Get off your high horse.

If you rarely roam, you don't have a problem, so all this posting energy is wasted.

It's not a high horse, it's a lucid observation.

What's the point of paying Sprint if another carrier serves you better. Nothing is a better indication of this than roaming.

But since you "rarely roam" all this banter is moot, correct?
Sprint Touchpoint, Kyocera KWC 2235 (Verizon), Samsung N400, Samsung A920, Palm Centro, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Hero, Samsung Nexus S, Galaxy SII E4GT, Galaxy SII (AT&T), iPhone 4S (AT&T), iPhone 5 (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy S4 (AT&T), iPhone 5S (AT&T)

Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
variablebinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #18
sfhub
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 25,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
What's the point of paying Sprint if another carrier serves you better. Nothing is a better indication of this than roaming.
The Sprint store salespeople point out why pay more with Verizon when you can pay less with Sprint and have the same coverage because Sprint includes roaming on Verizon.

I don't personally agree with them and we know that isn't true for most markets by looking at the PRL, but that is what they tell the customer.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #19
xxxjdoggxxx
Telegraph User

Phone: Touch Pro 2
SU$: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
If you rarely roam, you don't have a problem, so all this posting energy is wasted.

It's not a high horse, it's a lucid observation.

But since you "rarely roam" all this banter is moot, correct?

I rarely roam and I do have a problem. When my account details say I have "unlimited" roaming and I get a threatening letter from Sprint for roaming a couple days 4 months ago I would say that is a problem. Seriously man let it go. If you don't have anything constructive to post don't post at all. I am sorry I don't worship Sprint like you do but you don't need to attack me over it. Obviously you didn't bother to read my original post because I clearly stated that I only roam when visiting family out if state.
xxxjdoggxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #20
Kendog210
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 19,775
Quote:
I rarely roam and I do have a problem. When my account details say I have "unlimited" roaming and I get a threatening letter from Sprint for roaming a couple days 4 months ago I would say that is a problem. Seriously man let it go. If you don't have anything constructive to post don't post at all. I am sorry I don't worship Sprint like you do but you don't need to attack me over it. Obviously you didn't bother to read my original post because I clearly stated that I only roam when visiting family out if state.
People tend to do that on here. If you dont share their positive views on Sprint they tend to resort to personal attacks against you even though you are venting about it in the "Rant" section

I understand your frustration and just ignore the personal attacks because you make a very valid point in your post. Sprint needs to fix their website and quit telling people they have unlimited roaming.
Kendog210 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kendog210 For This Useful Post:
xxxjdoggxxx (02-12-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #21
digiblur
Cordless Phone User

SU$: 3,831
You didn't get the letter for some light roaming usage. You triggered the system by going over 300mb within the past 6 months or so.
digiblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #22
lgmayka
Digital PCS User

Phone: HTC Evo Shift4G
SU$: 22,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur
You didn't get the letter for some light roaming usage. You triggered the system by going over 300mb within the past 6 months or so.
300MB in a month is light roaming.
lgmayka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lgmayka For This Useful Post:
xxxjdoggxxx (02-12-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #23
xxxjdoggxxx
Telegraph User

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

That depends on what your definition of "light usage" is. To me if you go over 300MB it could still be considered "light usage". Viewing a few websites and watching one netflix movie per day for a few days is light usage. I was hunting those days so it's not like I had time to sit around using data on my phone all day. The bottom line here is on Sprint's own website under my account details it says I have unlimited 3G roaming. If you are unsure what the definition of the word unlimited is I suggest you go back and read my previous post where I give the definition. If the limit is 300MB it should say 300MB on Sprint's website but it doesn't.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #24
u921333
Telegraph User

SU$: 112
Big problem I see is regardless of right or wrong sprint advertises it as a selling point so how can you use it as a selling point then turn around and slap you for using it?
u921333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to u921333 For This Useful Post:
xxxjdoggxxx (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #25
4ringsnbr
Telephone User

Phone: Evo 4G
SU$: 3,715
Quote:
That depends on what your definition of "light usage" is. To me if you go over 300MB it could still be considered "light usage". Viewing a few websites and watching one netflix movie per day for a few days is light usage. I was hunting those days so it's not like I had time to sit around using data on my phone all day. The bottom line here is on Sprint's own website under my account details it says I have unlimited 3G roaming. If you are unsure what the definition of the word unlimited is I suggest you go back and read my previous post where I give the definition. If the limit is 300MB it should say 300MB on Sprint's website but it doesn't.
Watching a movie on Netflix (besides being ridiculous on a tiny phone screen) is HEAVY usage-- you're talking 500 MB or more in a 2 hour period. The average smartphone user in the U.S. consumes about 700 MB per month according to Nielsen and other surveys. Over 1 GB in a month is heavy usage! I do admit-- I did hit 1.4 GB one month, but I don't see how on earth anyone with a phone that doesn't tether or use the wifi hotspot can burn more than 2-3 GB in a month on a phone... at least nobody with a day job that keeps them busy...
4ringsnbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #26
xxxjdoggxxx
Telegraph User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ringsnbr View Post
Watching a movie on Netflix (besides being ridiculous on a tiny phone screen) is HEAVY usage-- you're talking 500 MB or more in a 2 hour period. The average smartphone user in the U.S. consumes about 700 MB per month according to Nielsen and other surveys. Over 1 GB in a month is heavy usage! I do admit-- I did hit 1.4 GB one month, but I don't see how on earth anyone with a phone that doesn't tether or use the wifi hotspot can burn more than 2-3 GB in a month on a phone... at least nobody with a day job that keeps them busy...

I am not the average smartphone user who only checks email and does a little web browsing. I doubt most people on these forums are the average user either. If I wanted to just do a little web browsing and check my email I could to that at home on my computer and save myself $100 a month. Most months (except as I said earlier the couple times a year I go out of state) my data usage consists solely of web browsing, email and internet radio/podcasts. I easily go over 5GB a month every month just from the amount of internet radio streaming I do when I am at work (when I actually get good enough data speeds to listen to internet radio).

The term "heavy usage" I guess is a relative term. I don't agree with you that 1GB is heavy usage. I guess if you are only browsing websites and checking email it could be considered heavy usage. And no I do not tether as i have no need to tether (the last time I did was over a year ago and was just for web browsing on my laptop). I could use 1GB in a matter of hours on my computer at home. That is what the Evo 3D basically is. A hand held computer. I have seen screen shots on forums before of people using 25GB or more in a month so I guess by that standard I am a light user.

Last edited by Quill; 02-12-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: removed deleted quote and response
Old 02-17-2012, 05:05 AM   #27
godzla
Two Cans & String User

Mood: Confused
Phone: HTC EVO 3D
My Mood: Confused
SU$: 192
Regardless of what the T&C or what the reps say, if it's stated as such on your bill then sprint has no legal leg to stand on. When deceptive practices exist from conflicting information the courts favor the person or entity for which the terms are against. If I were you I'd have just laughed at the letter and ignored it. What's the worst they can do? Cancel your contract? There will always be another carrier ready to fill the spot. And in sprints case, with better service.
godzla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #28
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: Verizon S7 Edge
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 129,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by godzla View Post
Regardless of what the T&C or what the reps say, if it's stated as such on your bill then sprint has no legal leg to stand on. When deceptive practices exist from conflicting information the courts favor the person or entity for which the terms are against. If I were you I'd have just laughed at the letter and ignored it. What's the worst they can do? Cancel your contract? There will always be another carrier ready to fill the spot. And in sprints case, with better service.
Sprint sends you a letter and lets you know that you violated the T&C. If you continue,they send you a letter to inform you that your service will be terminated as of XX/XX/XXXX and that you should port to another carrier before then to keep your numbers.

They dont take you to court, they dont try and collect any ETF. They simply choose to no longer provide you with service. I'm sure that other carriers do the same if you roam too much. AT&T and T-Mobile would likely be the carriers that have the biggest issues with roaming other than Sprint.

The contract you "sign" when you get service on any carrier is completely one sided. They can terminate your service at any time for any reason and you do not get the same "rights."
Old 02-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #29
austin4435
Cordless Phone User

SU$: 3,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendog210

I quit my sorry excuse for Sprint service so Ill let someone else test the theory But I wish I had. It would have saved me alot of money in ETF if I could have got Sprint to drop my contract by roaming.

But Sprint needs to fix the website so that it does not show "unlimited" under roaming. If its 300MB like they state, they should change the site to show this. It doesnt surprise me, Sprint employs many false advertisement tactics. This is no different.
Thats TRUE..FROM NOW ON..IT SHOULD SAY 300MB
austin4435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #30
austin4435
Cordless Phone User

SU$: 3,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxjdoggxxx

i am not the average smartphone user who only checks email and does a little web browsing. I doubt most people on these forums are the average user either. If i wanted to just do a little web browsing and check my email i could to that at home on my computer and save myself $100 a month. Most months (except as i said earlier the couple times a year i go out of state) my data usage consists solely of web browsing, email and internet radio/podcasts. I easily go over 5gb a month every month just from the amount of internet radio streaming i do when i am at work (when i actually get good enough data speeds to listen to internet radio).

The term "heavy usage" i guess is a relative term. I don't agree with you that 1gb is heavy usage. I guess if you are only browsing websites and checking email it could be considered heavy usage. And no i do not tether as i have no need to tether (the last time i did was over a year ago and was just for web browsing on my laptop). I could use 1gb in a matter of hours on my computer at home. That is what the evo 3d basically is. A hand held computer. I have seen screen shots on forums before of people using 25gb or more in a month so i guess by that standard i am a light user.
i use 20 gigs a month!
austin4435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Rants, Debates, & Farewells - All Carriers > Warning letter about data roaming

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: