Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
SirSmokesAlot
Formerly known as Sprintguy4ever

Phone: LG F6
SU$: 18,034
Sprint wants to buy the rest of Clear

i kinda thought this would happen

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2012/12/1...buy-clearwire/

Sprint - the best at being the worst

If I help in any way please click the THANKS button
SirSmokesAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Gameaddict8
Telephone User

Mood: Chatty
Phone: LG G4
My Mood: Chatty
SU$: 956
Send a message via AIM to Gameaddict8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintguy4ever View Post
Good news right?

LG G4
Gameaddict8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
SirSmokesAlot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameaddict8 View Post
Good news right?

this will give sprint the power to do anything they want with clears spectrum (which they have alot of) but this also means that sprint takes clears debt (which is also alot)...sprint is going have alot of debt on its hands...once they get their network 100% (meaning LTE on both 800 and 1900) im pretty sure sprint will be making a come back...tho by this time next year sprints network will have LTE on 1900 and working on LTE 800

Old 12-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: Verizon S7 Edge
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 129,291
Quote:
this will give sprint the power to do anything they want with clears spectrum (which they have alot of) but this also means that sprint takes clears debt (which is also alot)...sprint is going have alot of debt on its hands...once they get their network 100% (meaning LTE on both 800 and 1900) im pretty sure sprint will be making a come back...tho by this time next year sprints network will have LTE on 1900 and working on LTE 800
I bet Sprint will ask the lenders to take a haircut before they would want to "buy" Clear. If the option is Sprint paying you 50%+ of what you are owed, or possibly getting 10% in a bankruptcy, you may want to negotiate a discount to maximize the return on investment.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Mood: Happy
Phone: Nexus 6
Trades: 11
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 57,653
Quote:
Good news right?
Not so in my case.

I have Clear for my home and on the go internet service and I am very happy with it.

I don't need Sprint effen it up if they take over as I would be pisst off to the max. Sprint can "eff up a wet dream" in my opinion is why I left them in the first place.

Last edited by SLME; 12-11-2012 at 09:42 PM.
SLME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
SirSmokesAlot

Quote:

clear in debt for $4 billion

Old 12-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #7
Kendog210
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 19,775
Quote:
Ouch. How much debt will Sprint be allowed to take on?
Kendog210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
Gameaddict8
Telephone User

Mood: Chatty
Phone: LG G4
My Mood: Chatty
SU$: 956
Send a message via AIM to Gameaddict8
Quote:

Wow that's a lot

LG G4
Gameaddict8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
Bibbin
Cellular Phone User

Phone: ATT,HM,S &TMO
SU$: 16,247
Softbank wants Clear. They'll come up with the money one way or another.
Bibbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
ericdabbs
Cordless Phone User

Phone: MoPho 4G
SU$: 13,069
Quote:
Good news right?
I say this is HORRIBLE news for now. This is not to say that I think Sprint shouldn't buy out Clearwire eventually but the timing is just not right.

The reason why this is bad news for Sprint is because currently Sprint is entangled or engaging with all these deals right now (USCellular spectrum deal, Sprint/Softbank deal, potential Dish spectrum deal) that it will just complicate things.

The reason why Sprint is so bold in the first place to even think about buying Clearwire now is because they have the money that was lent to them by Softbank. However the Sprint/Softbank transaction hasn't been officially approved yet by the FCC which won't be until mid 2013. Without Softbank's money, Sprint's financials wouldn't support a Clearwire purchase at this time. Sprint should wait until the Sprint/Softbank and the US Cellular deals are finalized first before attempting to buy Clearwire. If Clearwire was bought now, it would just complicate things since Sprint would need to get approval by not only Softbank but the FCC would now have to consider the Clearwire deal as part of the Sprint/Softbank transaction as a whole.

Another reason why this is bad is because Sprint wants to bid on the PCS H block next year to extend the G block for LTE. If Sprint buys Clearwire, then Sprint will have a ton of spectrum which will take them out of the FCC spectrum screen and wouldn't allow Sprint to bid on it. Sprint NEEDS the PCS H Block spectrum so that it can combine it with the G block to make a 10x10 LTE carrier to match Verizon and parts of AT&T LTE network. Also any potential Dish spectrum deal to get the 40 MHz of 2 GHz spectrum would be in jeopardy because then Sprint will have too much spectrum.

Bottom line is that Sprint has a hold on Clearwire with a 51% stake in the company. There is no need at all to rush out and buy Clearwire at this time. I want Sprint to get the PCS H Block spectrum next year, get a Dish spectrum deal going, have the Sprint/Softbank transaction and US Cellular spectrum transactions finalized and then finally consider buying out Clearwire. This shouldn't even be on Sprint's mind until 2014 at the very earliest. Sprint is getting themselves into too many deals.
ericdabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
SirSmokesAlot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendog210 View Post
Ouch. How much debt will Sprint be allowed to take on?

the whole thing?

Quote:
Wow that's a lot
think i read that sprints going pay $1.8 Billion for clear..

LOTS of money being thrown around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbin View Post
Softbank wants Clear. They'll come up with the money one way or another.
yup

Old 12-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
SirSmokesAlot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
I say this is HORRIBLE news for now. This is not to say that I think Sprint shouldn't buy out Clearwire eventually but the timing is just not right.

The reason why this is bad news for Sprint is because currently Sprint is entangled or engaging with all these deals right now (USCellular spectrum deal, Sprint/Softbank deal, potential Dish spectrum deal) that it will just complicate things.

The reason why Sprint is so bold in the first place to even think about buying Clearwire now is because they have the money that was lent to them by Softbank. However the Sprint/Softbank transaction hasn't been officially approved yet by the FCC which won't be until mid 2013. Without Softbank's money, Sprint's financials wouldn't support a Clearwire purchase at this time. Sprint should wait until the Sprint/Softbank and the US Cellular deals are finalized first before attempting to buy Clearwire. If Clearwire was bought now, it would just complicate things since Sprint would need to get approval by not only Softbank but the FCC would now have to consider the Clearwire deal as part of the Sprint/Softbank transaction as a whole.

Another reason why this is bad is because Sprint wants to bid on the PCS H block next year to extend the G block for LTE. If Sprint buys Clearwire, then Sprint will have a ton of spectrum which will take them out of the FCC spectrum screen and wouldn't allow Sprint to bid on it. Sprint NEEDS the PCS H Block spectrum so that it can combine it with the G block to make a 10x10 LTE carrier to match Verizon and parts of AT&T LTE network. Also any potential Dish spectrum deal to get the 40 MHz of 2 GHz spectrum would be in jeopardy because then Sprint will have too much spectrum.

Bottom line is that Sprint has a hold on Clearwire with a 51% stake in the company. There is no need at all to rush out and buy Clearwire at this time. I want Sprint to get the PCS H Block spectrum next year, get a Dish spectrum deal going, have the Sprint/Softbank transaction and US Cellular spectrum transactions finalized and then finally consider buying out Clearwire. This shouldn't even be on Sprint's mind until 2014 at the very earliest. Sprint is getting themselves into too many deals.

maybe sprint will sell off the spectrum they dont need and make their money back that way?...yea they had 51% of clear they really didnt need the other 49% right now!

yea sprint needs that 10x10 right now they have 5x5 and max is like 32Mbps with no load..when the towers get hits with users the speeds will drop down alot...sprint with 10x10 will have the tower at like 64Mbps....am i right? still a bit new with all this

Old 12-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #13
Pyramid-3
Account Locked

Phone: HTC Evo 4G
SU$: 10,901
The answer to the Hindenberg disaster was clearly to build more hydrogen filled zeppelins.
Pyramid-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: Verizon S7 Edge
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 129,291
One can only hope that Sprint wants to get the full control of Clear as part of adding Clear to network vision sites. It makes zero sense for Clear to build its own sites if the Sprint towers can provide the same or similar services at a lower cost.

Its quite likely Softbank wants Clear, and had made it very apparent to Sprint that it is a transaction that should be completed. We can certainly second guess the decision, but Sprint obviously feels it needs more spectrum and having Clear under its control gets it the needed spectrum.

I guess the question is, what value does Clear's spectrum have? Is the price and the debt more than what Sprint would figure to pay for spectrum at the next auction?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
ericdabbs
Cordless Phone User

Phone: MoPho 4G
SU$: 13,069
Quote:
maybe sprint will sell off the spectrum they dont need and make their money back that way?...yea they had 51% of clear they really didnt need the other 49% right now!

yea sprint needs that 10x10 right now they have 5x5 and max is like 32Mbps with no load..when the towers get hits with users the speeds will drop down alot...sprint with 10x10 will have the tower at like 64Mbps....am i right? still a bit new with all this
Close but....a 5x5 carrier has a max of 37 Mbps and a 10x10 has a max of 74 Mbps. Also Sprint will not sell off any 2.5 GHz spectrum unless they are forced to divest any of the 2.5 GHz spectrum from the FCC. The bigger problem however is finding a buyer that wants to buy such a high frequency to deploy a LTE network with. Verizon, AT&T and Tmobile have their fair share of high freq spectrum already. AT&T already has WCS (2.3 GHz) spectrum, Verizon and Tmoile have AWS (1700/2100 MHz) spectrum already and don't need to add 2.5 GHz spectrum to complicate things.

2.5 GHz freq is not an easy frequency to just simply auction off to potential buyers since 2.5 GHz frequency is best used to complement a LTE network that has some lower frequency (700, 800, 1700, 1900 MHz) rather than a standalone frequency (Clearwire's deployment of Wimax on 2.5 GHz which failed) for a network.

Since Sprint has 51% control of Clearwire there is no need to rush that purchase. Try to collect as much spectrum while you can under spectrum screen for having little spectrum (small amt of 800 MHz and an avg amount of PCS 1900 MHz) which includes the PCS H block (10 MHz) and the Dish network spectrum (40 MHz) if they can hammer out a deal. Only then should you make an attempt at Clearwire. Sprint would be prudent not to draw too much attention from the FCC of trying to become too big too fast to compete with Verizon and AT&T. Doing it slowly is the best method.
ericdabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Sprint wants to buy the rest of Clear

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: