Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 06-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
mideastbeast
Cordless Phone User

Mood: Ninja
My Mood: Ninja
SU$: 8,658
Will I be charged for Data Roaming?

You can see the plan I have in my signature line. My good friend is on my family plan and she moved up to South Lake Tahoe where Sprint service is pretty spotty. Verizon works great up there. I called Sprint and the first guy I talked to told me to have her turn off data roaming because after the first free 150kb it would start taking away from our bucket of minutes. Today a woman at Sprint tech support tells me that we have Data Roaming included at its free.

I'm a little confused because she has the Samsung Moment and she says she can't seem to make roaming calls if data roaming is turned off. I have a blackberry so I don't know her phone too well. What settings should she adjust to be able to make calls and text and will we risk extra charges if she is on roaming for calls or data?
mideastbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: Verizon S7 Edge
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 129,291
You are given "free" data roaming, so long as your "off network" usage doesn't exceed your usage on the Sprint network.

An example: 3 Mb of total data used, 1.6 Mb on the Sprint network and 1.4Mb off network is fine.

3 Mb of total data used, 0.9 Mb on the Sprint network and 2.1 Mb off network is not OK.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
mideastbeast
Cordless Phone User

Ok, thank you Dan. Strange concept, you'd think they'd just cap roaming data to 2.5gb or something since she can actually be in trouble even if she only uses 3mb a month lol. I'll just tell her to use her data more when she is outside her apartment which is probably what she would do anyways. The apartment is where she has crappy sprint reception. I wonder if they'd really be upset if she used slightly more data on roaming vs. her sprint data network like 1 month out of the year but her total usage was low?
Old 06-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
steveymacjr
All EVO! Until WP7

Mood: Pregnant
Phone: Megaphone
My Mood: Pregnant
SU$: 8,107
Here is the exact wording from Sprint in the Terms of Use:
Quote:
Off-network Roaming: The primary use of your Device must be for domestic purposes within the Sprint-owned network. Domestic means use in the 50 United States and U.S. Territories (except Guam). Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes. The display on your device may not always be on and will not indicate whether you will incur roaming charges. You can monitor usage online through My Account. Roaming is not available with single-band phones, or to customers who reside or whose primary use is outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may limit or terminate service if you move outside of the Sprint owned-network.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
mideastbeast
Cordless Phone User

Thanks Stevey. Not much I can do about where she lives so I guess we'll give it a month or 2 and see what happens. Sprint tech support had her reset her phones mdn and ms id so hopefully she can get service now.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
VisionsDivine
I actually hate phones

Phone: My landline lol
Trades: 6
SU$: 8,987
While what Dan says above is the official policy, Sprint is very lax with roaming in practice. A couple megabytes of roaming would not be anything to worry about. The policy is put more in place to counter people who buy Sprint service but live in roaming areas. You'd have to be roaming a lot for consecutive months before Sprint contacts you about it. And even then, they give you a warning before canceling your service.
VisionsDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
Dan
Forever my Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpoet View Post
While what Dan says above is the official policy, Sprint is very lax with roaming in practice. A couple megabytes of roaming would not be anything to worry about. The policy is put more in place to counter people who buy Sprint service but live in roaming areas. You'd have to be roaming a lot for consecutive months before Sprint contacts you about it. And even then, they give you a warning before canceling your service.
Just like the voice roaming issue, Sprint had a policy on roaming that was not enforced and one month decided to start enforcing it. Never take what has been true "in the past" over what is in writing and you will have nothing to worry about.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
mideastbeast
Cordless Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpoet View Post
Nice, that makes me feel better. She gets sprint voice and data outside her apartment and she really only uses a few mb of data per month so hopefully they'll let it slide.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
chokaay
Now on T-Mobile...

Mood: none
Phone: Apple iPhone 6+
SU$: 15,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by mideastbeast View Post
You can see the plan I have in my signature line. My good friend is on my family plan and she moved up to South Lake Tahoe where Sprint service is pretty spotty. Verizon works great up there.

I'm a little confused because she has the Samsung Moment and she says she can't seem to make roaming calls if data roaming is turned off. I have a blackberry so I don't know her phone too well. What settings should she adjust to be able to make calls and text and will we risk extra charges if she is on roaming for calls or data?
Quote:
Ok, thank you Dan. Strange concept, you'd think they'd just cap roaming data to 2.5gb or something since she can actually be in trouble even if she only uses 3mb a month lol. I'll just tell her to use her data more when she is outside her apartment which is probably what she would do anyways. The apartment is where she has crappy sprint reception. I wonder if they'd really be upset if she used slightly more data on roaming vs. her sprint data network like 1 month out of the year but her total usage was low?

Based on your friend's situation (OK Sprint reception outside her apartment, crappy inside), I would recommend calling up Account Services and complaining about the reception ONE OF YOUR LINES gets inside their apartment in South Lake Tahoe. More likely than not Sprint will send you a FREE Airave (cellular microcell) to improve coverage inside the apartment while waiving the monthly fee.

This way your friend doesn't have to roam inside her apartment (and contribute to both your voice roaming and data roaming total), and won't have to put up with a crappy Sprint signal in her apartment. Your friend does need broadband Internet (ie: Cable Modem, DSL, etc) to use the Airave though, and I've heard that even though the monthly fee is waived, the applicable tax is still billed to your account...
chokaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
mideastbeast
Cordless Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokaay View Post
Based on your friend's situation (OK Sprint reception outside her apartment, crappy inside), I would recommend calling up Account Services and complaining about the reception ONE OF YOUR LINES gets inside their apartment in South Lake Tahoe. More likely than not Sprint will send you a FREE Airave (cellular microcell) to improve coverage inside the apartment while waiving the monthly fee.

This way your friend doesn't have to roam inside her apartment (and contribute to both your voice roaming and data roaming total), and won't have to put up with a crappy Sprint signal in her apartment. Your friend does need broadband Internet (ie: Cable Modem, DSL, etc) to use the Airave though, and I've heard that even though the monthly fee is waived, the applicable tax is still billed to your account...
Wow, thank you. She just moved there and her dsl will be active in a couple of days. I am on the phone with Sprint right now seeing what they will do.

Update: Thank you chokaay, they said they'd waive the cost and monthly fee. I asked about taxes and she said it would just be a 1 time 99 cent fee. If I ever left sprint I would just have to make sure to return the Airave or I'd be charged $100. I've been with Sprint for about 8 years so that shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by mideastbeast; 06-26-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
Dan
Forever my Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mideastbeast View Post
Wow, thank you. She just moved there and her dsl will be active in a couple of days. I am on the phone with Sprint right now seeing what they will do.

Update: Thank you chokaay, they said they'd waive the cost and monthly fee. I asked about taxes and she said it would just be a 1 time 99 cent fee. If I ever left sprint I would just have to make sure to return the Airave or I'd be charged $100. I've been with Sprint for about 8 years so that shouldn't be a problem.
Their are administrative fee's for the airave, as it is billed as a cellular line with a number associated with it. It runs a few bucks a month, well worth it if you like Sprint otherwise.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: