Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
tarmacevo
Honor First

Phone: GS4
Trades: 6
SU$: 5,165
Send a message via AIM to tarmacevo
Kindle fire... Any good?

I'm basically just looking for a decent tablet to watch a few movies on, probably read the occasional e-book and maybe a game or two. Just something to help cure some boredom during travels. I'm kind of an apple junkie, but honestly not sure I can justify the cost difference plus I don't want to have to format movies just to play on the ipad.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
legion125
Cellular Phone User

Phone: GSlll
SU$: 26,389
From what I've read, the Fire is good for reading and browsing and movies. You have to remember that the Fire is configured to run effectively on Amazons products, so as long as your getting your content from them and using its app market, you should be ok. The Fire and the Nook tablet both make good traveling companions as long as you use them as they were designed for.

If you root them, you get a lot more capability but the functions may be compromised. Some were complaining that the viewer on the Fire didn't work well after rooting. Haven't heard if that issue was resolved.
legion125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
hilker09
Cordless Phone User

Phone: HTC EVO 4G LTE
Trades: 1
SU$: 6,517
I have a Kindle Fire, and absolutely love it - realizing it's not an i-pad competitor, but that's ok for me - I love it being Amazon-centric. In fact, my wife's checking out mine to see if she wants one for her birthday - Wal-Mart has them this week with a $50 gift card!
Sprint Customer since 2003, 5 lines, currently loving my HTC One. Previous phones - Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO 4G LTE, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G, HTC Hero, BB Tour 9630, BB Curve 8330, BB Pearl, Palm Centro, LG-Muziq, Katana DLX, LG 550, Sanyo MM 5600, Sanyo 8200, Sanyo 8100
hilker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
The Red Baron
Formerly known as Red Baron

Phone: Nexus 5
SU$: 9,191
I'm not a big fan of tablets in general: I gave away my 1st generation iPad to my nephew and returned my Fire after a few weeks of use. That said, I think Fire would suit your needs just fine, especially if you already have Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, or Netflix.

For media consumption, I found the Fire to be even better than the iPad. While the iPad is bigger, they have the same resolution when you hold it sideways for watching videos which means Fire makes up for smaller size with sharper graphics due to higher dpi. Also, the Fire is a lot lighter and a lot easier to hold especially when you're rolling around on your couch or bed.

I also prefer the Fire over iPad for reading. Again, it's smaller but has a higher pixel density which makes text sharper. It can't compare to my regular Kindle (e-ink) for reading, but it's acceptable when the reading session is less than a couple hours straight.

And games run just fine on Fire. Amazon has it's own marketplace so they make sure to test everything before they put it up there. Nothing I tested showed any noticeable lag or problems.

I returned mine because it didn't suit my needs (and I don't know if any tablets current or future will), but it'll probably suit your needs based on your criteria.
The Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > The SU Lounge > Gadgets & Gaming > Kindle fire... Any good?