Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 07-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #46
Duffman
Eh.

Mood: onvacation
SU$: 29,054
Let's see the bill. If his family used that much data, then they need to pay for it as Sprint has to pay the Mexican company. Perhaps Sprint can wave their profit as a gesture of goodwill. If he did not use it, then investigate for an error or fraud. Either way, Sprint needs some method for capping this stuff before it gets out of hand or else they will end up with more egg on their face.
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #47
SRSEN1999
Telephone User

Phone: BB Curve 8330
SU$: 458
Let's see the statement first before we keep talking about it.
SRSEN1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #48
sray08
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 93
Update!

The online statement is attached for all you who want to see the bill. I sent an e-mail to the dan@sprint.com, not expecting to get any reply since I knew it was an auto-reply thing. I was surprised when, less than 5 minutes later, the VP of customer finance services shot me back an e-mail saying her boss would call me soon. Within 2 minutes he called me and apologized for my bill and the frustrations I had been having. Within 10 minutes after e-mailing the dan@sprint.com I had my bill fixed! The international roaming rates have been taken off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crazy sprint bill 2.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	40157  
sray08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #49
lgmayka
Digital PCS User

Phone: HTC Evo Shift4G
SU$: 22,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by sray08 View Post
I was surprised when, less than 5 minutes later, the VP of customer finance services shot me back an e-mail saying her boss would call me soon. Within 2 minutes he called me and apologized for my bill and the frustrations I had been having. Within 10 minutes after e-mailing the dan@sprint.com I had my bill fixed! The international roaming rates have been taken off
The speed and totality of the fix strongly suggests that your case fit a known issue--e.g., a bug in the Mexican carrier's billing software.
lgmayka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #50
Maximaboy1
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: HTC Touch Pro 2
SU$: 2,793
Quote:
The online statement is attached for all you who want to see the bill. I sent an e-mail to the dan@sprint.com, not expecting to get any reply since I knew it was an auto-reply thing. I was surprised when, less than 5 minutes later, the VP of customer finance services shot me back an e-mail saying her boss would call me soon. Within 2 minutes he called me and apologized for my bill and the frustrations I had been having. Within 10 minutes after e-mailing the dan@sprint.com I had my bill fixed! The international roaming rates have been taken off
Glad it's been resolved!! Shame that it took so much work..but it's "a lot of money" Sprint thought they might have been able to milk you out of...so they wanted to make sure you really didn't want to pay it!
Maximaboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #51
oscar10181988
That's what she said

Mood: Cheerful
Phone: Sprint iPhone 5
Trades: 2
SU$: 1,977
Quote:
Woohoo!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #52
NM08SRT8
Finally, Sprint got it..

Phone: iP4s White 64gb
Trades: 20
SU$: 123,394
So since that picture's resolution is so small, you really can't see crap on it, I'm kinda curious how the charge came to $11k still? We've all been kinda curious. Think you can post a higher res photo?
NM08SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #53
d3fpo3t
Telegraph User

Mood: Ninja
Phone: EVO4G
SU$: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
Wirelessly posted (Palm Pre: Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.1.1; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.0)

How could Sprint stop someone from using their phone or limit anything when thay are in another COUNTRY. Sprint has absolutely no control over what a MEXICAN company allows on their network. The Mexican company sends a bill to Sprint sometimes weeks after the fact.

The Subscriber agreed to the terms and conditions that very clearly state that international roaming is extra. The subscriber chose to use data and had to know it was not blocked. Android phones connect to Google talk automatically unless the subscriber changes the settings.

Sprint WILL Pay the mexican company what they are billed. So because a subscriber CHOSE to use his phone in a foreign country and CHOSE not to familarize himself with the terms and conditions and device and Sprint incurs a $9,800 bill they are supposed to just absorb the charges??!?

13gb is a HUGE amount of data, WAY more than a few minutes a day on Facebook. That would be enough data to download approximently 13 FULL LENGTH movies or over 3,000 4 minutes songs at 128 kbps or 41 HOURS of streaming video (like YouTube).

Unless the mexican company is misreporting the data actually used too Sprint the bill is IMO legitimate. But it is not Sprints responsibility nor within it's ability to stop someone from using services on a carrier in another country. They cap DOMESTIC data charges at $75 dollars because the don't have to pay another company for the data used. The Agreements between carriers determine how much Sprint is required to pay when a Sprint phone is used on their network.

if the subscriber chooses to cancel he will still be liable for the bill and the $200.

The BBB, Consumerist or Attorney General will not be able to do much unless it is determined that the mexican company is misreporting, but since a mexican company probably won't care in the slightest what an american consumer advocate organization can do to them there is little recourse. Either way Sprint didn't choose to use the device outside of the US, the consumer did and IMHO is liable for the charges.

I suggest he contact sprint and set-up some sort of arrangement or be prepared for a $11000 write-off to be listed in his credit for about 10 years...Good Luck
You dont seem to watch/read news very much. Take this bill to a News corporation (local, national,internet) and with in a week the bill will be gone and replaced with something payable. Heck people have even gotten bills eliminated by tweeting about it
Old 07-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #54
d3fpo3t
Telegraph User

Phone: EVO4G
SU$: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
The speed and totality of the fix strongly suggests that your case fit a known issue--e.g., a bug in the Mexican carrier's billing software.
Its more likely a result of the person that read the email remembered the PR nightmare that verizon just had about a bill with the same issue
Old 07-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #55
aau007
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Bored
Phone: Shift
Trades: 8
SU$: 16,671
I guess I am just very shocked that "VP of customer finance services", the VP himself has direct customer account access, and be able to modify billing directly. In big corporation like Sprint, it is pretty scary. Otherwise, if he had to pass it onto someone to do it, then Sprint must have red tapes like the corner mom and pop shop by just yelling across the hall "hey John, can you just hit delete that roaming charge?"

Also, the VP seems to be pretty smart to figure that $11k billing is a mistake and just remove it without any investigation.
aau007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #56
bluegrass
Telephone User

SU$: 1,050
Send a message via MSN to bluegrass
but I also would like to see a bigger picture of the bill so we can all see
bluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #57
Sprint Know It All
Silver G35 Riding So Clean

Mood: Brooding
Phone: Evo x2, TP2
SU$: 3,181
Send a message via MSN to Sprint Know It All
probably a PR person that called him but actually att will let your bill run up too. I bet u are happy you didn't have autopay LMFAO!

Plan: ED 1500 (shared), 6pm Nights (free), Airave (free), Pick 3 (free), TEP x3, "evo tax" x 2, 25% Corporate Discount. Total Monthy Bill including taxes= $149.62/mo
Sprint Know It All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #58
ccchhhrrriiisss
>: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Mood: Inspired
Phone: LG G2
SU$: 11,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRSEN1999 View Post
I will have to agree with MadGasser, why do you need your phone or all 4 phones in Mexico while on vacation? Wouldn't 1 phone be enough? It's not like you will be using the phone down there.
My wife and I took our cell phones on our honeymoon a couple of years ago. We spent time in four different countries. We took our cell phones with us...because we needed the contact info contained within them in case of an emergency.

We had no problem turning them on, because we had data and text blocked on our account at the time.

I would be concerned now. I have a Touch Pro 2 that automatically updates the weather and stock every hour. I would be afraid of accidentally activating the YouTube app (or something like it) if I were overseas or on a cruise ship.

So, yeah, some people bring their phones on purpose. They might not want to use them...but you never know.

SPEAKING OF...

My sister-in-law is an undergrad who will be studying overseas this fall. She is on our plan and currently uses a Blackberry Curve. Should she just leave this phone in the US? Should she trade out with my TP2? She will be there for about five months.

Advice?

ccchhhrrriiisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:26 AM   #59
oscar10181988
That's what she said

Phone: Sprint iPhone 5
Trades: 2
SU$: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post
My wife and I took our cell phones on our honeymoon a couple of years ago. We spent time in four different countries. We took our cell phones with us...because we needed the contact info contained within them in case of an emergency.

We had no problem turning them on, because we had data and text blocked on our account at the time.

I would be concerned now. I have a Touch Pro 2 that automatically updates the weather and stock every hour. I would be afraid of accidentally activating the YouTube app (or something like it) if I were overseas or on a cruise ship.

So, yeah, some people bring their phones on purpose. They might not want to use them...but you never know.

SPEAKING OF...

My sister-in-law is an undergrad who will be studying overseas this fall. She is on our plan and currently uses a Blackberry Curve. Should she just leave this phone in the US? Should she trade out with my TP2? She will be there for about five months.

Advice?

Why not just call Sprint and tell them to block it so it doesn't charge?
Old 07-24-2010, 03:48 AM   #60
chokaay
Switched to Verizon...

Mood: Asleep
Phone: RAZR MAXX HD
SU$: 15,754
Quote:

Congrats! Glad it all worked out!
chokaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > $11,000 Sprint bill, international roaming!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: