SprintUsers.com

SprintUsers.com (http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rants, Debates, & Farewells - All Carriers (http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Warning letter about data roaming (http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227341)

xxxjdoggxxx 02-10-2012 12:49 AM

Warning letter about data roaming

The other day I received a letter from Sprint about my roaming data usage. The letter is attached (sorry I don't have a scanner so I took a picture of the letter with my phone, it's readable but blurry) Basically it says I am in violation of the roaming terms and conditions. I have unlimited data and unlimited 3G roaming is included in my plan (according to my bill and Sprint's own website). A screen shot is attached below. The only time I ever use data on roaming is when I go up to Michigan to visit family which is maybe a couple times a year (there is no Sprint coverage in Upper Michigan). In previous years I took my laptop and tethered with my phone. The last time I went up there however I forgot my laptop and didn't do any tethering. Just some web browsing.

Has anyone else received a similar letter? The letter says I am limited to 300MB a month on roaming. It also says my account is being monitored now. I called Sprint today on an unrelated issue and was told my account is now "being handled by management". I was then forwarded to a manager who took care of my issue and didn't mention anything about the roaming or why my account is being handled by management. I had a long day at work and didn't feel like arguing so I let the issue go for now.

I pay about $100 a month for my plan, barely make any calls and I always keep my data usage reasonable (I tether maybe a couple times a year just for web browsing). I am sick of being treated like I did something wrong when my plan details say I have "unlimited" 3G roaming. It's not like I was running a dedicated server or something. I was just doing a little bit of web browsing on roaming for a couple days. If I can find another provider that has reasonable data policies (or at least doesn't call 300MB unlimited) and will let me use my Evo 3D I will probably be leaving Sprint. I won't even get into my 3G speeds (on Sprint towers) being horrible over the last year in areas that used to have fast 3G as I see there is already another thread about that.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7316/sprint1.th.jpg

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6...sprint1.th.jpg

Kendog210 02-10-2012 07:41 AM

Wow thats crazy. I know in the Sprint T&C is states that you have limited roaming. But I didnt realize it says unlimited roaming on the bill. Doesnt surprise me though. I guess your going to have to accept it or switch carriers if you can. This happens to others. Since the network has become so stressed, people who once had excellent reception now start to roam. And then Sprint threatens to cut off service because of it. I would just go elsewhere but understand if this is more difficult then said.

Also I dont think you can use your phone on other carriers. Some of the prepaid carriers can flash your phone for their network. It just varies though

variablebinary 02-10-2012 07:44 AM

If you are roaming that much, get a new carrier.

Roaming is not a right.

Kendog210 02-10-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by variablebinary (Post 2658725)

Roaming is not a right.

Well whats weird about this is if the attached photo from the OP is not manipulated and is from the Sprint website, it makes it seem you are incorrect. Seems roaming is a right. If the photo is correct, you have unlimited roaming and are then entitled to it.

variablebinary 02-10-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendog210

Well whats weird about this is if the attached photo from the OP is not manipulated and is from the Sprint website, it makes it seem you are incorrect. Seems roaming is a right. If the photo is correct, you have unlimited roaming and are then entitled to it.

Test that theory and let us know how it works for you.

Kendog210 02-10-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by variablebinary (Post 2658731)
Test that theory and let us know how it works for you.

I quit my sorry excuse for Sprint service so Ill let someone else test the theory:lol: But I wish I had. It would have saved me alot of money in ETF if I could have got Sprint to drop my contract by roaming.

But Sprint needs to fix the website so that it does not show "unlimited" under roaming. If its 300MB like they state, they should change the site to show this. It doesnt surprise me, Sprint employs many false advertisement tactics. This is no different.

Subie77 02-10-2012 09:41 AM

Switching carriers won't save you from running into this issue again. Maybe so if you switched to the carrier who's network you were roaming on for this particular instance yes. But no carrier likes people roaming on another carriers network for very long. That would be like paying for one carriers service and enjoying another for free. Verizon and AT and T both discourage this as well and i know this for a fact being as I have been on both carriers myself. While being on ATT and visiting family in a very rural area i roamed quite a bit and got the same stern letter from them. This is not Sprint specific.

sitlet 02-10-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

I have unlimited data and unlimited 3G roaming is included in my plan (according to my bill and Sprint's own website).
Nobody has unlimited data roaming. Every account is limited to 300mb a month, it says this in your contract. The unlimited data is on sprint's network only.

Kendog210 02-10-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sitlet (Post 2658792)
Nobody has unlimited data roaming. Every account is limited to 300mb a month, it says this in your contract. The unlimited data is on sprint's network only.

I think part of the OP's confusion is that the Sprint website is not matching the T&C that states the 300MB limit. The screenshot of the website is stating "unlimited" 3G roaming. Basically Sprint should change that to state 300MB like their T&C shows

w7excursion 02-10-2012 12:10 PM

Yes they should. For people that do not come to the forums a lot or stare at the sprint t's & c's page all day everyday it might be confusing since it says unlimited. Mine says the same thing. The usage tracker needs a major overhaul also.

xxxjdoggxxx 02-10-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by variablebinary (Post 2658725)

Roaming is not a right.

If you would have actually read all of my post you would know that I rarely ever roam. I never said anywhere roaming is a right. Get off your high horse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendog210 (Post 2658732)

But Sprint needs to fix the website so that it does not show "unlimited" under roaming. If its 300MB like they state, they should change the site to show this. It doesnt surprise me, Sprint employs many false advertisement tactics. This is no different.

My point exactly. Here is the definition of the word unlimited:

Quote:

unĚlimĚitĚed /ˌənˈlimitid/
adj.
1. Having no restrictions or controls: an unlimited travel ticket.
2. Having or seeming to have no boundaries; infinite: an unlimited horizon.
3. Without qualification or exception; absolute: unlimited self-confidence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sitlet (Post 2658792)

That's not what Sprint's website and my bill say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendog210 (Post 2658794)
I think part of the OP's confusion is that the Sprint website is not matching the T&C that states the 300MB limit. The screenshot of the website is stating "unlimited" 3G roaming. Basically Sprint should change that to state 300MB like their T&C shows

When I signed my contract to get my Evo 3D I read the terms and conditions and do not recall seeing anything about a 300MB cap on roaming data. I do remember seeing something about more than 50% of usage has to be on Sprint's towers (I am no where near using 50% on roaming). Maybe they changed it since then. I don't know. Regardless there are at least two different places where it says I have "unlimited" roaming.

At best Sprint is being very deceptive. At worst this is flat out false advertising and Sprint may be leaving themselves open to a lawsuit. I find it funny Sprint is now running an ad on their website bragging about how they are the only provider where unlimited really means unlimited. I wonder how many new customers will see the word unlimited next to data roaming and go through the same thing I did.

And for those of you that doubt the validity of my screen shot I posted this topic on other forums and right away had at least three people provide the same screen shot. If you have an "unlimited" plan on Sprint log in to your account and see it for yourself. I will be calling Sprint sometime this weekend about this issue. I will let you all know what happens.

sfhub 02-10-2012 01:27 PM

Sprint has been known to change their T&Cs, but in this case, the 300MB and 800min thing has been there a while, certainly at the time the Evo 3D came out.

Kendog210 02-10-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfhub (Post 2658832)
Sprint has been known to change their T&Cs, but in this case, the 300MB and 800min thing has been there a while, certainly at the time the Evo 3D came out.

Needless to say they need to fix the mis-representation on their website. It is not unlimited so they need to fix this. More people will look at their bill and account online then they will read the entire T&C.

Bibbin 02-10-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxjdoggxxx (Post 2658683)
The other day I received a letter from Sprint about my roaming data usage. The letter is attached (sorry I don't have a scanner so I took a picture of the letter with my phone, it's readable but blurry) Basically it says I am in violation of the roaming terms and conditions. I have unlimited data and unlimited 3G roaming is included in my plan (according to my bill and Sprint's own website). A screen shot is attached below. The only time I ever use data on roaming is when I go up to Michigan to visit family which is maybe a couple times a year (there is no Sprint coverage in Upper Michigan). In previous years I took my laptop and tethered with my phone. The last time I went up there however I forgot my laptop and didn't do any tethering. Just some web browsing.

Has anyone else received a similar letter? The letter says I am limited to 300MB a month on roaming. It also says my account is being monitored now. I called Sprint today on an unrelated issue and was told my account is now "being handled by management". I was then forwarded to a manager who took care of my issue and didn't mention anything about the roaming or why my account is being handled by management. I had a long day at work and didn't feel like arguing so I let the issue go for now.

I pay about $100 a month for my plan, barely make any calls and I always keep my data usage reasonable (I tether maybe a couple times a year just for web browsing). I am sick of being treated like I did something wrong when my plan details say I have "unlimited" 3G roaming. It's not like I was running a dedicated server or something. I was just doing a little bit of web browsing on roaming for a couple days. If I can find another provider that has reasonable data policies (or at least doesn't call 300MB unlimited) and will let me use my Evo 3D I will probably be leaving Sprint. I won't even get into my 3G speeds (on Sprint towers) being horrible over the last year in areas that used to have fast 3G as I see there is already another thread about that.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7316/sprint1.th.jpg

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6...sprint1.th.jpg

Was this the only bill cycle during which you exceeded 300 mb while roaming?

Quill 02-10-2012 02:35 PM

It would be so awesome if people could play a little nicer in the sandbox. If you are confused by what that means perhaps a review of the rules or not hitting the post button if in doubt. Or, PM a mod. Just a few thoughts.